Bentley Turbo R Reviews - Page 2 of 4

1989 Bentley Turbo R from France

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1989
Previous carPorsche 911

Summary:

The last real Bentley?

Nothing has ever gone wrong on this Bentley.

General Comments:

Why consider lesser cars if you can have a classic Rolls Royce or Bentley at reasonable prices.

Find a good low mileage one with service history and the car will be a lifelong joy.

Very fast, 100 % reliable, and oh so classy!

You should buy one even if only for the combined Connolly leather, wood and Wilton carpet smell alone, sit down and relax.

Review Date: 9th May, 2007

1992 Bentley Turbo R 6.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Model year1992
Year of manufacture1992
Engine and transmission 6.8 petrol Automatic
Previous carJaguar XJ6

Summary:

I'll only find a better vehicle in the shape of my next Bentley

The heater's effectiveness seems to be in inverse proportion to speed.

The cruise control is a bit variable - I am interested to read of others' experience on this point.

General Comments:

I'm not looking forward to unleashing all that torque on Winter roads, but in general it's a rapid stealth machine.

In general terms, it redefines handling and performance and seems to shrink around the driver - unfortunately country roads don't expand to suit!

Review Date: 9th December, 2004

1987 Bentley Turbo R L 6.75 V8 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 6.75 V8 Automatic
Previous carJaguar XJ40

Summary:

Nothing that big and comfy should be able to go that fast!

The steering rack developed a leak after about 5 months. The company from which I bought it (a well-known London independent specialist) took the car back and reconditioned under warranty. A few months later, we took the car in for a regular service, and the company announced that they weren't happy with the reconditioning so replaced, again under warranty.

The rear cups that hold the kingpins have started to corrode, and needed replacing. Likewise the front negative camber bushes have needed replacing. Finally, the drive belt had started to stretch, and was initially tightened, then replaced.

These three items were "normal wear and tear" and thus we had to pay for the work.

General Comments:

The car puts a grin on my face every time that I drive it. At slow speeds, it is happy to waft along gracefully, and shows no signs of "wanting to go faster". However, when I decide that I want to up the pace, it responds incredibly smoothly, without a hint of turbo lag, and handles like it was on rails.

I had expected something like the Jag Sovereign, but a bit better. Instead, I've found it to be in a completely different league.

This is the long-wheelbase variant, and the interior space is incredible. When it rained, I could sit my baby daughter in her car seat, and then crouch down in front of her, in the foot well, to strap her in properly.

The pre-sales service from the (independent) dealer was excellent. We went up to look at their stock, but couldn't find quite what we wanted. A few weeks later, the dealer phoned to say that they had a car coming in that we might like, and then brought it down to us for a test drive later in the week.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2004

3rd Aug 2004, 09:53

That's a pretty fair assessment all round if you don't mind my saying so.

The steering racks do leak, but there are firms now offering lifetime guarantees. Brilliant family car! I hope you keep it a long time.

9th May 2007, 10:28

Thanks for your comment regarding the Jag Sovereign. I own one and am actually thinking of upgrading to the Bentley. However, I thought - is it going to be THAT much better?

You answered my question - next car, Bentley :)

1990 Bentley Turbo R 6.8 turbo from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 6.8 turbo Automatic
Previous carRolls Royce Rolls Royce

Summary:

The Turbo R is a high performance living room

The rear on side shock absorber leaks.

The cruise has failed.

The steering rack leaks.

The windscreen rubber perished and caused a complete replacement.

The engine pinks at high speed. It dislikes LRP. (It hates unleaded).

General Comments:

Who cares.

I just love everything else about the car. It cost so little to buy, is very cheap to insure and if you keep out of a Bentley dealer's clutches and find a truly competent, local mechanic it will still hold its purchase value so well that even with all the problems I have had, it could well work out cheaper to run (15,000 miles per annum) over three years than a new Citroen Picasso. As a bonus, the walnut burr picnic trays in the back seats are better made than the lightweight, plastic, gallic alternative.

Review Date: 7th May, 2003

10th May 2005, 04:14

I agree, after having purchased a 1990 Bentley Turbo RL, I find the car to be wonderful. Large and powerful, yet more comfortable than most can imagine. People must remember this (and these cars), are getting some age up, but if the car is properly maintained, it should last forever. Be mindful to use only the proper Castrol HSMO oil for the car and Hide food for the leather and there should be few problems in these areas.

After owning BMWs and Mercs for years I can say that the Bentley is a completely different beast, much more relaxing to drive, yet very powerful as well, though some may miss the mod cons that the Euros offer. For my humble opinion it really is a great car to have the privilege to drive and own.