1987 Bentley Turbo R 6.75 turbo from Switzerland

Summary:

Unbeatable: beautiful and fast

Nothing has gone wrong which wasn't faulty when I bought it from the largest reputable UK after-market Bentley dealer. It looked and drove perfectly, but I was conned. I had the bogged rust removed from all the wheel arches (US$15,000), and many initial repairs: steering rack, cruise control, stub axle and many more. I think the dealer swaps parts from car to car. The warranty is less than comprehensive if you ship overseas (parts only in reality).

General Comments:

Everything about this car is superb and it's amazingly fast and nimble.

Once sorted out these cars should be very reliable.

The interior and exterior are like new, and it's spectacularly well made in every respect.

It's perfect for daily use, shopping and taking the baby to kindy.

Forget fuel consumption while it's legal. If you worry about fuel consumption, this is not the car for you.

On the Autobahn it's unbelievable: stable, brakes superbly and corners exceptionally well.

Club insurance costs much less than for a VW!!

Get it checked thoroughly before you buy.

Review Date: 7th September, 2001

1991 Bentley Turbo R 6.75 V8 from North America

Summary:

Beautiful and powerful, but very expensive to keep running

Auto-ride shocks had to be replaced (USD$700 each).

Replaced the memory control module for the front passenger seat ($850 USD).

Replaced numerous relays and switches for the A/C fans and cooling unit.

Strange gas smell from the rear of the car due to a leak in a hose.

Lower engine coolant reservoir replaced (USD $250).

Numerous belts and hoses (total USD $3,200).

Steering pump O-rings ($129).

Lower front steering bushing ($300).

General Comments:

I acquired this car from Don L. Leasing in Florida last fall, and my disappointment has been more with the condition of the car when it was delivered to me rather than intrinsic failures within the car itself. I bought the car unseen and was guaranteed that it was in mint condition. It turned out to have several problems which I've finally sorted out.

Having lived its life in Florida, the salt got to the rubber in the car. I've had to replace almost every hose and belt in the car. Last winter, after the first cold snap I had every kind of fluid imaginable leaking out from under the car.

The car is beautiful, Black over a nice fawn grey. I've taken it on several road trips and it has performed beautifully on each. I always arrived well rested and comfortable.

It always gets the best valet spaces at clubs and garners all kinds of looks from people on the road. Definitely not a low-profile car.

Interior quality is remarkable.

Great performance (when the suspension works, anyway). Handles wonderfully.

Car is very expensive to maintain and gets really crappy gas mileage (I've seen an average of about 7.5 mpg!)

Review Date: 24th May, 2001

23rd Mar 2005, 07:27

Greetings. I have a question concerning the '91 Turbo R. I am new to Bentley and am considering a purchase. I have been made aware of their potential to "break". I share the question of a previous inquirer. Have you found the need to repair or replace the same item repeatedly or does one shot usually take care of it. The seller has a long list of recent repairs and replacements and I wonder if this should provide assurance or a warning? Thanks.

1989 Bentley Turbo R 6750cc from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A magnificent red turbocharged beast!

New engine management computer required due to incompetence of an air conditioning company which spiked the the unit accidentally while recharging the A/C system. New unit bought from Bosch while I was on holiday in Germany for NZ$2000 instead of NZ$8000 through a New Zealand agent.

New fuel governor for the fuel injection unit bought for NZ$570.00.

Valve for the height control cleaned up so car no longer crouches in the garage overnight - $300.

Three new tyres purchased as originals, all developed bulges at 220 kilometres per hour which made the ride thereafter somewhat uncomfortable!

General Comments:

I'm pleased to say that this car now runs like clockwork and is an absolute pleasure to drive... boundless power and a wonderfully quiet, smooth ride makes this the best Rolls Royce/Bentley I have owned so far.. Mark you it took me an additional $20000 to get to this point in addition to the not inconsiderable purchase price...

Review Date: 5th September, 2000

11th May 2005, 04:33

I have recently purchased a 1990 Bentley Turbo RL and am extremely happy with it. The car does tend to slouch if it has not been started for a period greater than 24 hours though. I was interested to read above that the Gentleman had the accumulators cleaned, which fixed the crouching problem. My question is; is this a problem which needs accumulators to be replaced or do they simply need a clean out every now and then? I know the 1990 model has the more complicated adaptive or active ride suspension system.

Love the car in every other way, it is just something else to drive!