2011 BMW 1 Series 128i SULEV 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Fast golf cart with leather

Nothing.

General Comments:

Big mistake getting the automatic. Happiest day will be when it's gone from my driveway.

Review Date: 12th October, 2011

20th Oct 2011, 16:41

There is some coded logic in your review, but it is hard to find. No faults? Fast go cart with leather that you want gone ? I have the same 3.0 litre automatic, and think it is wonderful. I prefer autos to manuals, even though there is a slight lag in the auto. Power is terrific and handling like a BMW sports car can. Time will show it as a classic.

2009 BMW 1 Series 135i 3.0 litre twin turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Totally superb M3 alternative

Nothing.

General Comments:

Brilliant performance with handling to match, in fact I think it could handle more.

Build quality is faultless.

It will hit 37.2 mpg on a motorway run at 70mph, but mixed driving will normally reach 25mpg.

Automatic is excellent, much better than the DSG alternatives as the automatic is purely that. With the double clutch, change ups are instant.

Tyres are expensive, £425 per pair. Rear ones last 10k.

A lot quicker than I thought, it's won a lot of traffic light take offs and some top end races.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2010

8th Dec 2010, 23:14

There has been a factory recall problem with the twin turbo. Did you return yours?

2006 BMW 1 Series 135i from North America

Summary:

Love the car, hate the burnt piece of machinery sitting in front of my home!!!

At 90,000 miles, my car had an electrical fire. It just happened last night, so I don't have all the specifics yet, but the fire investigator said it was clearly a manufacturer defect. The car was parked and hadn't been driving in more than 3 hours.

A quick search on Google demonstrates that this is a common occurrence with some BMW models. I am hoping that after this is all said and done, I am still a fan of BMW's customer service.

Until now I my only issue with my car was the run flat tires, they are the worst. I have replaced the full set twice in 90,000 miles. And not because of balding, but because the tires have had holes in them. Run flat tires are not cheap!

General Comments:

I loved my car and thought it was worth the price. Now I am scared to own a BMW. My car was parked; what if it had of caught fire when I was driving it.

In the end, I hope that this goes over seamlessly. I don't know where to begin with BMW. Do I go to the dealership where I bought the car, or do I go to the corporate headquarters? I welcome advice.

Review Date: 14th March, 2010

25th Mar 2010, 20:44

I also have an E82 and I am interested to know more about your car's spontaneous fire. Did you have insurance? How did the fire investigator know it was a manufacturing defect? Have you shown the issue to BMW? Was the car made in USA or Germany? I would be surprised if BMW factory showed no interest. Your detailed comments would be appreciated.

31st Mar 2010, 18:53

I also found comments about engine fires in BMW cars. In this case it was an old (1992) 530.

..."the most likely cause of an engine fire is a leaking fuel line. It is possible that whoever did the repairs left a fuel line loose or damaged a fuel line in the process of making repairs. Proving this will be difficult, what you can do is hire an accident investigator who specializes in the automotive sector to look at the car and determine where the fire started. It may look like a total mess under the hood, but a good investigator will be able to determine the cause and document it for you. If you have comprehensive insurance, your insurance company's investigator will be able to do this for you. A fuel leak is the most likely possibility of an engine fire. Another possibility is engine oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold from a leaking valve cover gasket. Another possibility, but far less likely, is an electrical fire."

My question to you is... who did your last service? Freds Garage or BMW???