1995 Buick Century Reviews - Page 5 of 5

1995 Buick Century 3.1 liter from North America

Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 3.1 liter Automatic

Summary:

Poorly built car, and will drain your bank account

Inner tie rod ends went bad prematurely.

Battery never lasts more than one year.

Replaced wheel cylinders twice.

Replaced the radiator.

Replaced the alternator five times.

Warps front rotors regardless of driving conditions.

Feels very shaky above 65 miles per hour.

Wobbles extremely bad, the front end has developed serious problems prematurely.

Numerous electrical problems.

Burns out bulbs very quickly.

General Comments:

This car has been nothing, but a money pit, If you are thinking of getting one...DON'T!!!

Review Date: 28th September, 2003

7th Jun 2004, 12:26

The shaking at/above 65mph is the tires... I had the same problem in mine... after putting a brand new set of wheels all around. the problem is completely gone.

28th Dec 2004, 13:45

I have the same problem! My tires, in theory, based on what my dealer told me, are new! I do not understand the shaking problem. Mine was also a 1995 Buick Century. It is currently in the shop looking at over $3,000 in repairs for a transmission that blew without warning. It has been well maintained and has been a money pit in the four and a half months that I have owned it.

24th Feb 2006, 18:21

I don't know how you drive this car, but I also have a 1995 century and the only thing that has needed was a muffler and mid pipe. That car has over 100k and runs good, but has just started to develop an oil leak which is burning, but can be fixed cheaply. So the only thing I can think of is you beat the snot out of that car.

25th Feb 2006, 08:42

No, it's just more proof that American manufacturers, with a few exceptions, can't build cars with any consistent quality.

Virtually ALL the American car reviews on this site follow the same pattern. Some people swear they are the most reliable cars ever, but most complain about the endless problems they have.

Sorry, but my family got tired of befriending every mechanic in town so they stopped buying American and haven't looked back once.

14th Oct 2010, 18:44

The shaking of your Buick at around 60 - 70 MPH could possibly be caused by a bad torque converter. GM had a bad run of these. Try stepping on the brake when this happens to see if the shaking stops that moment. Could be it. Good luck.

15th Oct 2010, 14:48

We has had a 95 in our family for 10 years. One alternator, 2 batteries, tires, and new brakes and rotors. The passenger window is slow. Nice car and runs well.

1995 Buick Century 3.1 from North America

Year of manufacture1995
Engine and transmission 3.1

3 alternators in three years, transmission replaced at 80,000 even with regular maint.

General Comments:

Good looking car, smooth ride, not as reliable as expected with Buicks recent high quality rating. Disappointed with this car.

Review Date: 25th September, 1999

28th Sep 2001, 11:41

I would be disappointed too if my car needed 3 alternators in 3yrs. and a new transmission at 80k miles! These GMs quite often go through alternators frequently. The only thing that would cause the transmission to go that soon is a defect or misuse.

13th May 2003, 08:15

I've had absolutely no problem with my Buick's engines or transmission. Great power, pick up and smooth shifting. I have the 3 speed overdrive with my 3.8. Maybe that's the difference? My car has 127,000 miles. My only complaint is lack of legroom in the back. My 91' LeSabre was roomier.

28th Dec 2004, 13:29

I recently, just this past summer, purchased a 1995 Buick Century from a local used car dealership and have since made over $1,000 dollars in repairs. Yesterday, at about 108,000 miles, my transmission blew without warning. It had been diagnosed for just about everything when it went in for its initial repairs. Now, I'm trying to figure out whether I should attempt to finance another car or spend over $3,000 on replacing the transmission. The car has been an attractive car inside and out with smooth ride. The special features are nice, i.e. automatic locking and unlocking as you park and put it into drive, automatic lights, plenty of extra lights in the car, etc. However, I have been unsatisfied with the lack of reliability.