1989 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 5.7 liter from North America

Summary:

A gas friendly hot rod

Driver side door strap broke.

Replaced the rear bumper.

Replaced the air cleaner.

General Comments:

This truck is fast, strong, and really good on gas. It gets twenty miles to the gallon city and twenty-one miles to the gallon highway. Compared to my 1998 Ford F-150 this is a big improvement.

When going off road it rides as smooth as it dose on the road. With few vibrations and less engine strain than my 1998 Ford F-150.Now I know what your thinking "Oh of course, but what size engine did your Ford have if your Chevrolet had a 5.7 liter". Well My Ford had a 5.6 liter Triton, and that my friend is a heavy duty Ford engine.

Comfort wise the Chevy is is a huge improvement over my 1998 Ford F-150. The Ford, s Interior I could classify as two cotton covered rocks. My Chevy on the other hand is as comfortable as your bed when your dead tired.

When I said this truck was fast I mean it. 5.7 liter when broken down is 350 cubic inches. My Chevrolet does 11.99 in the quarter mile.

I also said this truck was strong, well I mean it. This truck pulls my 34 foot Cabin Boat with ease. That pretty much speaks for its self.

Review Date: 17th August, 2003

11th Oct 2003, 18:03

The strength of this year's top engine isn't in question, neither is the durability of the truck.

However the comfort you speak if is a load of crap... What'd you do? Take out that horrible angle ridged bench seat and replace it with Lexus buckets???

What about the bumps? Why do you have Monroe Sensa-tracs in a work truck? We all know it's a big truck, there-hence-forth you feel every bump in the road...

1989 Chevrolet Silverado LX 4.3L V6 from North America

Summary:

An expensive investment

When I got my truck, it was in very bad shape. The body was rusted through, and the engine's piston rings and seals were completely shot. I was on my way to a complete rebuild.

I have put an all new 1996 3/4 ton frame underneath, sandblasted and undercoated of course, as well as having the engine professionally rebuilt, painted and chrome plated to have it look good under the hood. The previous owner had the clutch, transmission and transfer case replaced at 258 000 kms (I have the receipt) and they work great. I recently had it painted and put a tonneau cover, and a chrome package on the truck and it looks great. I installed a $3000 stereo system as well and customized the interior.

So I guess the only thing that has gone wrong with it since I did all this work was normal wear parts like front end parts, tires, alternator, starter, fuel pump, and a distributor.

General Comments:

The truck works great. 4 wheel drive works good, it handles good on the highway as well as in the snow and mud.

Review Date: 13th December, 2002