1997 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews - Page 7 of 11

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.7 Vortex from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 5.7 Vortex Automatic
Previous carGMC Sierra

Summary:

My next truck probably won't be a GM brand

I recently purchased my '97 Chevy Silverado truck from a used car dealer locally and have only put 200 miles on it since driving it home.

When I test drove it, it drove and ran fine with only a few noticeable problems.

First the CD player quit working and ate my favorite CD. I replaced the radio/CD player with a new aftermarket one.

Now I am having trouble with the automatic transmission. It slips, shifts hard from lower gears to higher gears, and the speedometer quit working.

At the same time, the "check engine" light came on, as well as the "ABS" light.

I notice a "glitch" in the steering when turning right at slower speeds as per other comments in this forum.

While I haven't noticed any leaks in the cooling system YET, it appears I have nearly all of the problems previously identified with these trucks.

General Comments:

I wish I had known about the problems with these trucks before I bought mine.

I bought an extended warranty with the truck, and hope I can get the problems fixed by the dealer I bought the truck from.

I haven't had problems with the cooling system yet, but will be watching for signs of the problem.

Review Date: 28th November, 2004

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 5.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1999
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Like the comfort of the truck, but mechanically it could be better

I purchased the truck used in the fall of 1999. One month after I bought it the auto. trans went out. That was almost $1,000, thank God for warranty.

Sounds to me like we all share the same problems, a lot of it anyhow. I went through 2 alternators between 45 and 50,000, water pump, fuel pump at around 62,000, I haven't experienced any leakage yet and have never had to add a quart of oil. My Speed sensor in the steering is going now at about 75,000 and was wandering if anybody has changed one? I would like to do this myself. I don't think that this is under recall, but as far as I can tell it should be. It is an unsafe condition and dangerous. Thanks Scott.

General Comments:

This has been a relitively good truck, but it can be a pain in my butt sometimes.

Review Date: 1st November, 2004

1997 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7 liter vortec from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7 liter vortec Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

It is a great truck for the price

I have 95,500 miles on my truck, and not a thing has gone wrong with it.

General Comments:

It is a great truck and a powerhouse at that. It performs extremely well.

Review Date: 12th September, 2004

1997 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Z71 stepside 5.7 liter Vortec from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7 liter Vortec Automatic
Most recent distance119000 miles
Previous carChrysler Sebring Convertible

Summary:

A very fast truck that is highly capable off road

The only thing that went wrong was the U-joints, and that was from break torquing the truck to much.

General Comments:

This truck is amazing, I have more power than I ever expected from this kind of truck. It is a regular cab step side Z71. If you want more power than you will ever need, just add a flowmaster delta flow 40 and a K&N airfilter. I can smoke any of my friends trucks with V-8's. This truck is awesome off road, I haven't got stuck once, I have pushed this truck really hard and it wants more every time. I highly recommend this type of truck if you want more power than you need and want a very capable off road vehicle.

Review Date: 7th July, 2004

3rd Apr 2005, 21:38

I also have a 97 Z71, and recently I took in 4 wheeling. I was impressed with its capability, as it is completely stock, the 5.7L has tons of power, and its great for mud puddles. I was just wondering what depth of water you have pushed yours through? and my engine compartment got VERY dirty, and was just wondering if yours did the same. thanks.

13th Jun 2005, 10:40

I have had water up to my windsheild before and it got threw just fine. My engine compartment is extremely muddy, but it is a 4x4, so who cares.

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 from North America