Fiat 500 Reviews - Page 2 of 6

Model year2013
Year of manufacture2013
First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2013

Summary:

Uncomfortable

None.

General Comments:

Nice looking car.

Good fuel mileage, but very uncomfortable to drive more than a few miles. I am 5'9" and the steering wheel is too far away. Would be nice to have a telescoping wheel.

The electric power steering is erratic.

The seats have no support for your thighs.

Overall, I would never buy another one, and would not recommend one to anyone.

Review Date: 25th May, 2013

13th Jul 2013, 19:20

Did you actually drive the car before you purchased it?

I'm 185cm tall, and find my 500 TWINAIR perfect to drive and sit in!

28th Aug 2013, 17:02

Man, I can't believe that you find it uncomfortable! I am also 5'9", 165lb., and my Pop is extremely comfortable, no matter how long the ride. And, I have a bad back, so most cars/trucks kill my back after an hour or so, but not my Fiat.

9th Feb 2014, 18:54

I had a 2007 Yaris and sold it. I'm 6'1" (185cm) and it was the only car where I noticed what the original poster described - the steering wheel was too far and the pedals too close. Not that I couldn't drive the car, but in the long term it was an awkward driving position and I never got used to it. I did my driving lessons 20 years ago on a Geo Metro, it had half the space inside and I could hardly get on the seat, but it didn't had that 'steering wheel too far' kind of issue. I also had a older (2001) Yaris model (also called Echo), and despite having less legroom than the newer model, the steering wheel was at a perfect position.

9th Feb 2014, 18:55

I forgot to add, that I have probably longer legs in rapport to my arms/body size.

2009 Fiat 500 Lounge 1.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Model year2009
Year of manufacture2009
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 1.2 petrol Manual
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

Reputation-restoring excellence for Fiat

Clutch needed replacement at 67000 miles.

Occasional ECU warning messages needed resetting.

Wheel cylinder replaced after a leak at 52500 miles.

Rear lens cluster needed replacing because of water ingress.

Rear bulbs tend to blow more often than in most cars.

General Comments:

I bought this car to use as my driving school vehicle. This is possibly the toughest role for any small car today. Fiats do not have a great reputation for reliability, but I calculated that the funky styling and great reputation amongst teenagers would win me more business than any unreliability would lose me.

The car is small but well packaged, and drivers of all sizes can get comfortable in it.

The exterior styling is attractive, and far more faithful to the spirit of the original than, say, BMW's bloated take on the Mini. The compact dimensions and small overhangs also mean that the 500 is a very good city car.

The interior is also nicely styled. With the glass roof of the Lounge model, it is an airy and pleasant place to spend time.

The 1.2 engine needs revving hard to deliver any performance, and this affects fuel consumption, which has averaged only 48 MPG in my tenure. Bear in mind that as a 300 miles-per-week driving school car, this is not a bad figure at all.

The car still washes up like brand new inside and out. There are no rattles or squeaks. Very surprising for a Fiat.

The worst part about this car is the ride. It is unsettled and jiggly at low speed, to the extent that it can affect the steering over moderate bumps. It needs far better damping.

To be honest, apart from these points it is hard to fault the 500. I would certainly consider another as a driving school car, and even more as a private car with a much easier life.

Review Date: 4th May, 2013

13th Mar 2014, 02:33

Original poster here.

Eventually sold my Fiat 500 at 90,000 miles and replaced it with another Fiat 500 as my driving school car. I chose a low mileage used car this time around.

The Fiat left us with no rust, nothing broken and an almost unimpeachable reliability history.

These are really tough little cars. If you can live with the jiggly ride, highly recommended.