2002 Ford Escape Reviews - Page 9 of 11

2002 Ford Escape XLT V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Good little SUV

Sometimes when I start my escape, it won't stay running.

General Comments:

Nice size and looks sporty.

Can't figure out why it sometimes won't start up and keep running.

Review Date: 27th June, 2006

2002 Ford Escape 3.0 liter six cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 liter six cylinder Automatic
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carAcura Legend

Summary:

Good except the transmission

As many other reviews I've seen I too just had my transmission give up the ghost. There was literally no warning except that the overdrive off light came on and could be cleared. Three miles later the transmission (according to the dealer shredded). The next thing is that not only is it costing me $2990.00 to have the factory reconditioned transmission installed from my dealer. They tell that they found my drive shaft needs replacing, when they removed it from the transmission. So now I'm up to nearly $3400.00 in repair cost. I asked what when wrong with the tranmission and I received no answer. When I asked about the drive shaft and the dealer tells me its because of the excessive amount of salt they use on the New England roads. I'm pretty much thinking this is the last Ford I'll ever own. I always own multiple cars and the last four have all run to over 200K miles without a major failure. These being two Chevy's, a Mazda and a Acura. I can't believe a New England dealer would blame the weather for my Escape's failure. I guess he's telling me that if I want to won a ford I should move to a warmer climate (Big Smiles).

General Comments:

Actually up until now I was happy with the car. I do know that I will now trade it in before the "new" transmission reaches its guarantee limit of 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2006

17th Nov 2006, 13:07

I'm glad I came to this website I was on my way today to purchase an Escape I noticed when I drove it the transmission felt weird, but I was told by the Ford dealership that's just the way they are... I see now that this must be a defective part.

31st Mar 2008, 00:09

In regard to the cost of your transmission replacement, you shouldn't have taken it to the Ford dealer. I just had mine replaced at 107,000 miles (the trans. pump gave out and took everything else with it). I had a reputable transmission shop in my area do the job for $2100. Ford dealers tend to be a bit of a rip-off for service, so unless you're under warranty, find a good mechanic/transmission shop that isn't the dealer! Up until the trans went out, my 2001 Escape was completely trouble free since the day I bought it new. It's a great car.

2002 Ford Escape XT 3.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 3.0 petrol Automatic
Most recent distance12000 kilometres
Previous carNissan Pulsar

Summary:

Headache

Electrics shut down and stalled four times in very dangerous circumstances

Rust in front pillars.

Dealer told me that if I couldn't tell him what was wrong with the car, they couldn't fix it.

General Comments:

Car had good power, but was terrible off road. after sales service is criminal.

Review Date: 13th December, 2005

2002 Ford Escape LTS 3 liter from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 3 liter Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

I am very disappointed in the manufacturer

I find that at 34,000 miles, I am told that I need a new transmission. I was told that Ford installed a transmission in this car that did not support the 4 wheel drive features.

General Comments:

The Escape has been excellent and I have been very happy with it. I lived in Iowa for two years and now retired and live in Tennessee. It has been extremely reliable to this point.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2005

2002 Ford Escape XLT 3.0 V6 200 horsepower from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 200 horsepower Automatic
Previous carMercury Topaz

Summary:

Best small SUV on the market!

The brakes were replaced at 73, 000 km.

General Comments:

So far so good, I have had no problems with my 2002 escape just did regular maintenance and every things been good, took to mechanic to check brakes at 69, 000, he said they had about 5000 left so I replaced them at 73,000 that is all I have had to do. The 200 horse v-6 is amazing it really gets up and goes when you want it to, the 6 CD changer is great and the stereo is awesome, I love the leather seats, the sunroof is worth every penny. Mine is Grey I would like to put a freeflow some nice rims and a racing strip up the middle. I gave it an 8 in running cost because it is a v6 so it can get pricey, but what do you expect with an SUV, the 4 wheel drive is awesome in Ontario's winters. I love it because it looks good, but at the same time its tough and very peppy.

Review Date: 11th September, 2005