2003 Infiniti QX4 4x4 3.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

Pathfinder ruggedness with Infiniti panache - A real winner!

I've replaced the serpentine belts and just normal maintenance activities - no repairs.

General Comments:

I had a 2008 Land Rover LR2, which I loved, but didn't love me back. In the 6 months I had it, it had over $10k in warranty repairs and sat at a Land Rover repair lot for about a 1/4 of the time I owned it. Disgusted with the constant problems and the dealer's inability to get parts quickly (last repair took 8 weeks - rear differential failure), I decided it had to go. I had always wanted an Infiniti QX4, but decided against as the newest I could get was 2003, and finding a low-mileage example had proved difficult.

During my lunch break one day, I was looking for another vehicle and found the perfect QX4 less than 5 miles from my office. I called the dealer, made an appointment for 5:30pm and bought it. It was a 2003 model with only 66k miles - white with heated tan leather interior.

Despite the minor scuffs, I decided to buy it and get out of the Land Rover from hell - although they may all be from hell.

I've had the QX4 for 6 months and couldn't be happier! It looks great and has proved unbelievably reliable. The Infiniti dealer is also a pleasure to work with, and their service prices are not much different from a Jiffy Lube. I also average about 19 mpg.

The only grumble I have about the QX4 is interior space. I'm only 5'11", but I sometimes feel cramped in the QX4.

The QX4 is timeless, and it's a shame they didn't make an Infiniti version of the 2005+ Pathfinder. The QX56 is too big and too flashy.

Overall, I'd recommend a QX4 to anyone. It's classy, rugged, and reliable. A real winner.

Review Date: 17th November, 2011

11th Sep 2013, 10:26

This is the original poster - 2 years later the QX4 has 107,000 miles and I have never had an issue outside of standard service items. It may be 10 years old, but it's perfectly reliable and still turns heads. I plan to purchase to something newer, but I will not be selling the QX4 - I know I would regret it the next day.

2001 Infiniti QX4 from North America

Summary:

Too much to maintain

Nice luxury if you have the money to keep up with the problems that come with the car; if you have patience with the computer problems.

General Comments:

Good inside, OK sound system.

Review Date: 21st November, 2010

2001 Infiniti QX4 3.5L V6 from North America

Summary:

Unbelievably durable, great second hand buy

- 1 brake light bulb.

- A/C stopped working at about 110,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is bulletproof. Let me put it to you this way, it was the first car for 3 different teenagers. I was one of them, the engine was redlined almost daily from day one, shifted the automatic like a manual when we felt like it, in 2wd mode it does burnouts for days, and I personally drove it through a river that caused water to go above the headlights briefly... and this little SUV has never missed a beat.

I was also working as a part time technician at the Infiniti dealer, so I did most of the maintenance on it, and even THEN I missed a scheduled oil change or two out of laziness. But this car simply will not die.

My parents refuse to ever get rid of it because it is the only car to not give them a headache. So if you want a reliable, safe, good all weather used car for your kids to beat up and you not worry about... get a QX4 or a Nissan Pathfinder of the same year 2001-2003. These were the best years for this model, because it has the MUCH improved 3.5L V6.

Another big reason why this engine is better is not only it's 70+ more horsepower than the old 3.3L... the 3.5 doesn't have a timing belt... so all you have to do to it is change the oil and maybe new sparkplugs at 100k or so... That's IT!

The only other maintenance issue with these models is that they go through front brakes relatively quickly, every 25k or so... but I think it's a fine tradeoff considering how durable the rest of the car is.

I predict after a nuclear winter, the only survivors will be cockroaches, and Infiniti QX4s.

Review Date: 27th June, 2010