2001 Infiniti QX4 from North America

Summary:

Don't get ripped-off by buying the navigation system

Overall, the vehicle is good quality. The "rip-off" is the navigation system. I paid $2,000 for a system that will not even cover the entire USA. It really should be marketed as a "limited" navigation system. By the way... it takes 8 more CDs to cover the US at a cost of $180 each. I feel taken!

General Comments:

Handles fairly well, not much interior comfort room, engine power OK, styling good.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2001

30th May 2004, 12:34

No offense, but if only you could realize just how much you are asking for here. Having the WHOLE country on one CD, whew! No car manufacturer does that as far as I know. What you're saying is that you want every street, highway, and alley on ONE CD to be read off by a single small navigation unit. That is truly impossible.

3rd Jun 2004, 15:34

I recently purchased a 2001 SUV Infiniti Qx4 and I too am very pleased with the overall performance - however, I too noticed the seats are a bit short - since I am of med height and weight - I wonder how would a larger person fit into the front seats comfortably - my only complaint thus far -

10th Oct 2004, 14:17

No navigation system currently in production has the WHOLE united states on one CD.

19th Nov 2004, 06:36

Most Navigation systems are now DVD-based and cover the entire country in one or two disks. Having 8 disks in the QX4's system was one of the weaknesses pointed out in Edmund's 2001 review of that car.

24th Jan 2005, 15:15

In order for manufacturers to have the entire country on one disk there has to be more storage space than a CD has. This can be accomplished with a DVD. Infiniti is now offering a country-wide DVD map in many of its models.

1997 Infiniti QX4 3.2 liter gasoline from Republic of Palau

Summary:

Great ride

4 sets of shocks. Worn out due to my excessive speeds.

Problems with the check engine light (after making a hole in my crankshaft while off-roading), can't seem to get it to go off.

Noisy back door, fixed by adjusting a latch.

General Comments:

Excellent ride. Very comfortable. Awesome sound system. Great 4WD system.

Feels like you are driving a sedan but unfortunately it eats like you're driving a BMW Z8.

Review Date: 18th September, 2000

22nd Jun 2005, 21:26

I've been looking for a great SUV that was stylish, and comfortable. I am getting older and I realized that I need to have an SUV that doesn't bounce around. Well, this doesn't at all. The ride is so smooth, and you can't even feel the bumps in the road. I work in the New York City and all of you know how bumpy it is there... When I first drove it in the city I couldn't believe how smooth it was... The gas I guess is good for my vehicle. It gets like 17 to the gallon on City and that's pretty good!

4th Oct 2005, 14:09

These comments were both helpful. Thank you. I'm looking at buying a 1997 QX4 from an individual, and want to make sure I'm not getting into a car with real problems. It's always risky with an older SUV.

I was really sold on the smooth ride on my test drive, and am glad to hear that other people are still happy with theirs.