2001 Nissan Sentra Reviews - Page 6 of 11

2001 Nissan Sentra gxe 1.8 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

When it worked properly, I just LOVED it!

No-start problem at 30,000K. Took the car to dealer after receiving a recall notice, and problem vanished.

Problem recurred at only 70,000km. Intermittent. Always started eventually.

Sometimes would start and engine would quickly die with much shuddering.

Brought to independent garage, then dealer (on two occasions) Idle sensor was adjusted, but didn't remedy the situation. Problem was never found.

General Comments:

This car was comfortable with a very smooth ride.

Quiet, purring engine with very little highway noise.

Not a single problem except for the starting difficulties.

A beautiful car, economical on gas, and handled very nicely.

Because of the unreliability of the no-start, I traded it in last week for a Toyota.

Review Date: 27th February, 2007

2001 Nissan Sentra from North America

Previous carFord Tempo

General Comments:

He who needs horn problems and no start wiring problems solved need I a factory manual and to look at the wiring harness below the battery and beside the radiator. This is wear all the wiring problems seem to occur with wires breaking inside of the wire insulation which makes it hard to find. All my similar problems have been with this wiring. It seems to be the weak link.

Review Date: 11th November, 2006

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8 from North America

Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Very poorly designed, and too overpriced repairs

Plastic dip stick broke; replaced new from dealer.

New plastic dip stick broke at the first oil check.

Gas pedal has stuck since the day after purchase, and the dealer refuses to fix the problem.

Visor vanity light stayed on until 4/9/2006, when it shocked my girlfriend and shorted out the keyless entry system, trunk popper, air bag system, and that's all I've found so far.

General Comments:

The pros to this car are the same as with any Nissan; excellent motor and drive train. This car has good pick up and corners very well given its relative price and status. All in all, with few and rare exceptions, most consumers are pleased with the Sentra's performance.

My complaints, as well as many, many others, are with poor design, cheaply made components, and over priced repairs.

The dip stick is plastic and breaks very easily.

The visor light is wired into very expensive electrical components.

The gas pedal sticks, this is very dangerous and caused my girlfriend to slam into a truck at 35 mph. The result was $7588.73 worth of damage that the dealer refused to pay for.

Review Date: 12th April, 2006

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE from North America

Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Nice design, comfortable, reliability is a puzzle

General Comments:

The reason I bought the car is because of its past history, very reliable and within my budget. That is not the case any more, at least not for me. The car is consistently causing problems.

After only for 4 years and 75000km on the road, recently, I had to spend a fortune to replace ignition coils. Then, next day another repair, lucky for me the engine warranty covered that repair. Now, hardly three days later after last repair the engine service light came on again. Honestly I am afraid to go back to the dealer, as it will be another expensive repair.

I recently met with my friend at the dealer, who actually recommended Nissan Sentra to me based on his past experience back in 2001. Well, he also owns 2001 Sentra and he has the same problems as I do. I also talked to other owners of this model including friends from work who owned the Sentra and I heard the same story from them as well.

Based on my collected information and my own experience I will not buy this car again. I will go back to Toyota.

It sounds like this is a big issue for Nissan especially for this model.

Review Date: 10th December, 2005

2001 Nissan Sentra XE 1.8 from North America

Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

BRAVO!!

The Corolla died due to too many accident's, still had over 100,000 miles on it.

This Nissan Sentra Xe is a much better car. No problems and the car is is mint condition!! I plan to put at least 200,000 on this car and hopefully NO ACCICIDENT'S!!

I would rate this base Sentra a 10 of 10.

General Comments:

The car handles well

It rides smooth,

The engine "purrs"

It has excellent pick-up.

Review Date: 7th November, 2005

6th Feb 2007, 12:01

I bought my Nissan Sentra 2001. Up until now, it's been wonderful, with just regular maintenance and no major problems of any kind, other than 2 recalls.

Since fall of /06, the car has an intermittant problem starting. Hot weather, cold, rain, snow - doesn't have any bearing. I've had it looked at twice by Nissan, including a 3 day stay at the garage to try and find the problem with no results.

This car has only 75,000 KM and now I am forced to buy a new car since there is now no reliability.

25th Sep 2009, 16:28

You should remove your coil packs from the spark plugs and inspect for any moisture. Happened to me once, came to find out the moisture interacts with the coil packs, and makes them misfire. Dry out the coil packs and sparkplugs. You'll need a ten millimeter.