1974 Porsche 914 2.0 from North America

Summary:

A jewel in the rough!

The bearings on all four wheels needed replacing.

The passenger side back caliper leaks.

The Targa top and side seals need replacing.

The drip tray was missing, hence I needed to rebuild the distributor, because of corrosion.

Passenger seat and back pad need replacing.

General Comments:

I love my little car.

Exceptional handling. (this is from a former Mazda rx7 owner)

Much roomier than it looks.

The car still does around 135mph!!!

Review Date: 14th April, 2004

16th Jun 2004, 11:38

What have you done to the engine? Have you dyno'ed your car? I am impressed and curious regarding your "135." 95 bhp does not make it to 135.

I have one 914 (cancerous, unfortunately) and am looking for another. I have explored many options for making the little Audi truck engine (yep) equal the handling of the 914. The solution is simple - money. 160hp/2.3L Type 4 engine will cost about $6K and get you into the 135 neighborhood.

If you have done this more cheaply, please, let me know how.

17th Nov 2012, 20:59

I recently found a low mileage 911 SC engine, which is going into the 914. It was 5k, then all the other stuff; motor mount, oil tank and system, starter for the 911 engine, CDI box, and headers put me out another 3 thousand. So for a few more thousand than the 6k used to build up the VW engine, it's possible but not easy to find a Porsche engine in good shape, and then with low mileage and also no labour costs, as it is my own project, if you shop around long enough, a cheap, enough good Porsche engine can be had.

1975 Porsche 914 2.0 2.0 from North America

Summary:

The Boxsters funky brother from the 70's

Given that the year and high state of tune the car is in, very few items have gone bad. The right, rear brake caliper blew the seal at 94,000. I was able to rebuild it with factory parts and a core from ebay. $45.00 total repair.

Brake pads seem to wear out very quickly.

Valve cover gaskets replaced every 6K miles with valve adjustment.

General Comments:

This is my first 914. I was lucky enough to find one that had been very well taken care of. I am the fourth owner, and have records going back to the original order for the car. It has a special order paint called Zambezi Green. After extensive work by the previous owner, I have the pleasure to enjoy an amazing Porsche.

The car was modified for auto-cross and road racing with a six point roll cage; fully adjustable suspension; a 930 transmission; Panasport lightweight wheels; equal length headers with Supertrapp muffler; performance grind cam with solid lifters; dual oil coolers; msd ignition; etc.

This is one of the most forgiving cars I have ever driven. I am constantly amazed at precision handling and flat torque curve of the boxer four. With the addition of the 930 transmission the top speed now approaches 145 mph. Cruising at speeds up to 90 with the top off is ludicrously easy.

There really are only two down sides to a 914. Some will tell you that it is not a real Porsche, because it wasn't built in Zuffenhausen. Let me tell you, most 911s cannot keep up in the corners.

Secondly there are a few parts only available from Porsche. Every part needed is available, but some times that means paying Porsche prices.

I cannot over stress how much fun this is to drive. With the 914 every time I get in it I have the same feelings of excitement and anticipation, like when you sneak out your Dads' car. You always want to take the longest, twistiest roads home in this one. Going through town it loves to set off car alarms with the exhaust, just leaving from a red light you feel as though your getting away with some thing.

This is an incredible vehicle in every sense. It has it all; clean styling; Le Mans wining suspension; classic air-cooled engine sounds; and the feel that only comes from a car that has no computer controls or power assistance.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2004

10th Jul 2004, 09:12

I don't care how many modifications were done, to the 2.0L VW engine, there is NO WAY this car would achieve 145MPH.

It is also an aerodynamic impossibility!

2nd Aug 2004, 21:10

It can happen. And you're right the 911's cannot catch up with the 914s.

1st Oct 2004, 17:24

I have a 914 2.0 LE (Dreamsicle) and love it. I can't get much over 105 mph and even that makes me nervous in such a small car. The handling and braking are marvelous. The attention it generates from young and old alike puts a smile on my face. We use ours for fun on the weekends and I hope to own it until they take my driving license away. It's too bad the Boxster is so expensive for nearly the same amount of fun.