2009 Renault Master DCI 120 LWB 2.5 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A good all round performer at a good price!

None whatsoever!

General Comments:

I was a little dubious about buying a Renault Master after clocking up 250,000 miles on my trusty Sprinter! But I am happy to say it has been a great decision so far, no complaints to be honest.

The drive is comfortable, smooth, positive and responsive even at low revs.

The gear box is a little loose, but smooth.

The mirrors provide great visibility, the steering is light and the turning circle pretty good.

I am getting about 28 mpg on average, which is pretty good as I'm a multidrop driver.

The only complaint there isn't a decent drinks holder in the cab, but I can cope that!

Well done Renault!

Review Date: 2nd January, 2010

2001 Renault Master Expression 1.9 dci turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Worst car I have ever owned

I only had the car 2 weeks when the engine management light came on, and I lost most of the power; 40mph top speed.

Took it to the Renault garage, which is 60 miles away; they told me it was an EGR valve. They had to order one.

Took it back 2 days later; still the same fault. Had to order a new intercooler, and go back in 2 days again.

That cured it, but the next month the turbo packed in. Got new turbo fitted, ran fine for 2 month, then the gearbox got noisy.

Fitted a new gearbox, thinking nothing else could go wrong, then started banging at back end; had to fit new axle bushes.

Now the passenger window won't open when I lock the car; everything locks except the drivers door. When I unlock it, I have to open the passenger door from inside.

Started to lose power again. Phoned Renault who said try cleaning the EGR valve. It did cure it for 200 miles, then it happened again; was sooted up again. I'm going to buy a new EGR valve and change the car. I can't afford to run a car like that.

General Comments:

Would never have another Renault.

Review Date: 12th April, 2008

16th Dec 2012, 08:46

Heed this warning! Anything dCi in my option is BAD NEWS!

2005 Renault Modus. Delphi fuel pump starts eating itself at 60k, contaminates the whole fuel system, writes off the injectors and fuel spider with iron fragments. The tank had half inch of deposits. Total repair cost £2,700...

The guy that refurbished the injectors said the fuel system's main components were not fit for purpose, made on a budget by idiots.

I'll second that!

2005 Renault Master LWB 140DCI 3.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A tough work horse with great flexibility

Central locking key fob only works over a short distance - it's not the end of the world.

34000 miles, immobiliser problem - sorted very quickly by the dealer.

70000 miles, heater blower failed. Sorted by the dealer.

85000 miles, drive shafts have begun to wobble - on going repair.

85000 miles, missed recall for rear axle adjustment - on going repair.

85000 miles, engine pulleys sounding rough - on going repair.

General Comments:

This van is superb. I run a delivery company and this has taken everything we can throw at it. Including one European cannonball run (it's not a race, it's a rally, Ha).

A huge fuel tank and gives great MPG's - around 31MPG on average on A roads around Cornwall and Devon.

The dealer gave a 3 year 100000 mile warranty when I got it, and even though they needed some motivation, always come through with repairs.

Review Date: 10th May, 2007

23rd Nov 2012, 05:15

The van is now on 2702000 miles. The gearbox is past its best, but the bodywork and engine are still fantastic. 2 drive shafts at 160000 miles, new injector pump and injectors at 200000 miles. Can't complain at that.

Great van, still leaves our 2 new 2012 model 150 Masters eating dust.

2004 Renault Master 120 2.5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Van is good, customer service & attitude are bad

Excessive SHORT range of central locking (will not work even from rear of van, problem since new.)

Leaking gearbox.

Windscreen washer failure.

General Comments:

Dealer took 11 months, video evidence, and threats to return goods not fit. Also threats to contact the Watchdog consumer program before they took me seriously.

Previously told to get lost, and to stop wasting their time...

2.5 is under powered if regularly loaded.

3.0 next time.

Review Date: 27th November, 2005

12th Feb 2006, 16:01

We have the dci100 version and find it pulls well with nearly a ton of kit bolted to the floor in the back of the van.

We've had no problems at all after 18 months and 30,000 miles. Only really annoying thing is the remote central locking, I find it doesn't work from the back of the van also.

14th Mar 2006, 16:33

We have a 100hp and a 3.0 140 hp the first is under powered and the 3.0 is a 100 mph rocket, but loves diesel the computer onbord is recording 20 mpg, but is a hoot to drive. handling is great in whole it's a great CHEAP VAN.

26th Apr 2006, 17:52

I have a 2004 master dci100, I have only had a couple of problems which the dealer sorted very quickly, the first being the clutch pedal getting stuck down, and the second was the passenger electric window being slow to come up, both sorted by dealer.

I am glad I'm not the only one who's remote only seems to work at the front of the van!

16th May 2008, 01:29

I have a 54 plate master 100 dci van; it runs perfectly until clutch is depressed, then cuts out. It can be started in gear and driven. Are there any ideas to problem?

25th Jan 2011, 14:32

I have Renault Master 1.9. The clutch pedal keeps getting stuck. Is this the master cylinder or clutch itself?