2001 Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 24v V6 VVi from North America

Summary:

Crossing my fingers for long reliable ride for the extra money spent

General Comments:

Not as ergonomic as I would like.

Paid 100 under invoice from a dealer found online.

Gauges hard to see through the steering wheel.

Lots of interior space.

Noise reduction is good.

Trip odometers are not separate from the odometer, and far to reach to reset, but fair size numbers in the LCD.

The 2000 Taurus SEL we have is noisier, but more on the surface for the money, and more fun to drive with good seating space also.

Upper holder above the rear view mirror is too small for the garage door opener or much else. Door closing pockets should be larger to fit CDs.

Styling is not much, but the finish seems very good.

Cup holders in line with shifter for the bucket seat setup, which is not that good.

Elbow supports are too far from steering wheel for holding ease. Captains chairs in vans are the best for driving comfort for me.

Hoping for long mileage, and the dealer seems slightly better than other American car dealerships.

Hard to see the shifting position indicators.

Review Date: 9th February, 2001

1st Apr 2001, 12:57

I have been reading the comments on Toyota Avalon as I prepare to go into the market for my next car. I now own a l996 Buick custom LeSabre and it has been a "super" car. It has been driven about 50,000 miles. I am wondering why I would want anything other than a Buick.

15th Dec 2003, 11:20

...probably because Buicks don't appeal to anybody under the age of 70. I drove a very noisy and annoying 2003 Century as a rental car for a week, and I wore dark sunglasses the whole time so that no one would recognize me.

27th Jul 2004, 11:37

And Avalons don't appeal to anyone under 60.

26th Jun 2006, 20:24

Hmm Buicks. I advise you to check out Buick LeSabre reviews for the year 2000. Nice window problems.

19th Dec 2006, 17:53

I would rather have to replace the window regulator like in my Bonneville (only happened once) than replace the whole entire engine like in my GRANDMOTHERS Avalon. She is 67 just like one other person I know who has one with the same problem.