2004 Toyota Camry G from Philippines - Comments

3rd May 2013, 16:15

That's why it's "Poor Man's..." clearly, compromises have to be made. Against a Rolls? Everything at this end will be a lesser car.

20th May 2013, 15:45

That's the difference between USA and the Philippines. Here in the US, these cars are not comparable to luxury models. You see hundreds of Camrys on every college campus, and they are viewed as boring, even cheap cars.

21st May 2013, 14:38

It's the difference between the US and most countries in the world - you get your cars cheap, and don't get penalised for having big engine sizes (i.e., over 2.0 litres) or higher CO2 emissions by way of sales taxes, luxury taxes, road taxes, or ridiculous insurance rates.

For what you can buy a Camry in Europe for, you could get a reasonably well-specified Audi or BMW. Your cars, even European ones, are much cheaper there than most places on earth. A luxury car is what it's made to be. If a mere Camry costs as much as any BMW then it's a luxury car. On the other hand, in Europe, many BMWs, Audis and Mercedes are accessible - near enough the price of a Ford Mondeo, so they're really not 'prestige' cars, while in America these cars are aspirational.

A Holden Commodore 3.8 V6 is a standard vehicle in Australia and NZ, nothing to behold, but you could never afford to run that car in Europe - registration alone would kill you.

12th Jul 2013, 10:26

UPDATE: This is me the writer of this review. Last month, we had the fan belts replaced at the dealer. At first, it was only the thermostat that had a problem, because it kept shooting up but there was no sign of overheating. The real reason was one of the fan belts went bust. Fortunately it was detected early, or else if both of the fan belts went bust, then the bill would have been bigger because of the air con. It happened, then we got our brand new 2.5V Toyota Camry, which we are enjoying! :)

31st Aug 2013, 01:37

UPDATE: Had the upper engine support replaced by our trusty mechanic.

2nd Sep 2013, 14:12

A Camry doesn't have "fan belts".

3rd Sep 2013, 11:44

It might have helped if you told him the rest. Timing belt, A/C belt and power steering belt. Most people don't realize they have electric fans today. I actually have 2 fans in my domestic. If the car runs hot, I turn on the air and it kicks on the second fan for better cooling! Years ago we were taught to turn the heat on when overheating occurs in the engine compartment. The heater cools the running car down if there is not a blown hose or stuck thermostat. Some cars have just a serpentine belt that runs everything. And of course there is a timing belt or chain that's not visible. Hope my answer gives you some insight.

4th Sep 2013, 15:30

Cars these days don't have water pumps either. They have coolant pumps, since you don't run cars with only water. But it's all in the play of words. His review, his experiences, his words. Just learn from what he's trying to say.

5th Sep 2013, 08:19

It is called a water pump. Actually water dissipates heat better than anti freeze. But you should use it for the rust inhibitors in the warmer climates. Cold climates are a must for anti freeze.

By the way, we just put a new water pump in our 2004 Honda with timing belt change as it's advised. You have it already apart. You can name a car an auto.... a stick shift a manual... an engine a motor, and on and on with your descriptions. The guy at the parts counter will hand you a new water pump in the end. My friend calls his used car a POS. So whatever name works for you.

Last but not least, with my domestics, as far as belts, I go with ridged Gatorbacks as they do not squeak. I stay away from belt dressings too. It's a mess to clean the pulleys.

Good luck.