2004 Toyota Prado VX 3.0 TD from Australia and New Zealand

Reliable, comfortable, safe, nice design. Forget speeding though

-When the battery went flat, the stereo and electric windows locked themselves for security purposes. Was fixed over the phone simply.

General Comments:

A very nice 4WD. Our third Prado, and like the rest fairly problem free. Doesn't corner well, but cruises very nicely and bumps are hardly noticed. Pick up is... well... embarrassing. Not fast, especially for overtaking as it lacks power. However, on hills, or with big loads, the performance is hardly effected, and it takes a lot of hill and load to slow it down.

VX has nice array of features (ESP, 8 Airbags, Alarm, Cruise, 6CD, tinted windows, nice mags).

Not that efficient because of the older diesel, but for it's size and being diesel it doesn't cost too much to drive around.

Never gives problems.

Review Date: 16th April, 2008

2003 Toyota Prado VX 2.7L from United Arab Emirates

Reliable car, no mess no fuss

Besides that it's slightly underpowered, absolutely nothing wrong with my Prado.

General Comments:

It goes just about anywhere, somewhat comfy and I know my family is safe on the road. Lots of space, even in a 2 door, nothing rattles, nothing EVER breaks down, and it's firm on the road as far as 4x4's go.

It might not have flames down the side, or be as cool as a Chevy, but it does it's job, exactly what it was built for.

What more do you want, what more do you really need?

Review Date: 12th December, 2007

2002 Toyota Prado GXL 3.0 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

General Comments:

Found this car to be very reliable and great value.

The front seats give good support, but they take a bit to get used to.

The car has a good turning circle, and my children find it good, as the back seats are higher, and thus they can see out of the front of the car.

Review Date: 25th August, 2007

2006 Toyota Prado GLX 3.0 litre turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Unburstable - excellent long term choice

General Comments:

The vehicle is a company car. Every week it does about 650kms of highway driving plus the usual week-end stuff. I am in the pipeline construction business so the ability to go off road onto scrub and open paddocks is essential. I do not go rock hopping.

Given the weight of the vehicle and size of the engine, the performance is pretty good. I regularly cruise it 110kph on the highway and she is as solid as a rock.

Nothing has broken, everything works and she feels as if she could go on for ever. We have 4WD Hiluxes with the same engine and they do 300,000kms of pretty rough treatment before we sell them.

I am firmly of the opinion that despite all the "Jappy-Crappy" and "Riceburner" comments that Toyota builds the cars that Mercedes thinks it does. The Prado is like a vault and so comfortable that after 350kms I can still jump out of and not feel that I have done a long journey. And I am 60+!

Review Date: 19th August, 2007

28th Aug 2007, 07:59

That's a very good review.

Thanks very much.

2007 Toyota Prado VX 4.0 6 cylinder petrol from United Arab Emirates

Simply superb, and you will enjoy every ride

Nothing wrong, but I feel the brakes are not sharp enough to handle the power and weight of this 4x4. It's too strong.

General Comments:

It's so comfortable and quiet that you wouldn't even know the car has started if you sit inside this one.

It's got an amazing acceleration, so that you can be first at the traffic signals (you will like it when you just fly off, seeing others in the rear-view mirror).

I went for one with dual fuel-tanks, so I get 1200 kilometers on one fill. On motorways, if you keep between 120 and 130 kph, you will get about 13 litres/100km, cities you get about 14.5 litres/100km, and offroad you get about 17 litres/100km.

Missing services won't upset the car, but you will notice the mileage going down if you don't.

Review Date: 12th July, 2007

14th Nov 2015, 05:42

"Missing services won't upset the car"

An extraordinary comment.

If servicing didn't matter, then the manufacturer wouldn't specify it, as it adds to short term cost of ownership.

Missed services, whatever the vehicle, adversely impact longevity. There is absolutely no doubt about this.

I'm glad I won't be buying a secondhand Prado owned by this reviewer.