2008 Toyota Prius LX Hybrid from North America

I just bought a Toyota Prius and it is exceptional. It averages 50.6 mpg. It gets 27 mpg going uphill and 100+ going downhill. Several times we have been able to exceed 90 mpg for a five minute stretch going through town. Interstate driving at 70 mph gets 48 mpg.

For the time diesel may be a reasonable option, but only until oil runs out. I applaud Toyota for refining technologies that no one else has. We will need this in the future.

I did look at the Camry hybrid and it was awesome. I imagine that it gets about 38-40 mpg in town. For the size of the vehicle that is incredible.

Review Date: 8th October, 2007

8th Oct 2007, 18:42

The Prius is severely underpowered and any fuel savings are more than offset by it's much higher sticker price compared to a Chevy Cobalt or Ford Focus.

23rd Oct 2007, 03:20

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but the Corolla 1.4 D-4D does nearly 70 mpg motorway driving. If you are interested in high mpg you should really check out the Corolla.

23rd Oct 2007, 10:19

As an American, it really irritates me that you all in Europe get to have these small turbo diesel cars and trucks. Unfortunately, the air quality regulations in the US prevents us from getting diesels. At least in states like California and New York where they are probably needed the most due to higher taxes on fuel. Consider yourselves lucky for having this option.

14th Feb 2008, 19:15

Yeah. All those lucky people in Europe polluting the air just like the US has and continues to do.

They don't have strict regulations to save the planet/your life. Let's be envious!

19th Apr 2008, 06:32

Doesn't the price of diesel factor into this? And not everyone carries diesel fuel...

12th Oct 2008, 23:31

I'd like to know if the person who commented that the Prius is underpowered has actually driven one regularly. I've owned my 2007 Prius for nearly two years and have never wanted for more power. It's not a sports car but can comfortably accelerate from a stop or pass at highway speeds. It also climbs hills with a full load effortlessly due to nearly 300 lb-ft of torque from its electric motor.

2nd Nov 2012, 09:43

The person who said the Prius was underpowered, of course, never came back to comment. They've probably never even sat in the passenger seat of one, let alone the driver's seat!!

Prius is very quick off the line 0-35mph. And on the highway. I can accelerate from 65mph-90mph pretty quick too. People who were uninformed that drive with me, are always shocked to hear that the stuff they've heard at the water cooler isn't true.

Also, I have inadvertently had my Prius "peel out" before... oops!!