17th Dec 2010, 16:19

"Meanwhile, the Camry and Accord, as always, breeze right on by as the very best, year after year."

Sorry to dispel a very obvious (and widespread) myth, but not since 2006 has Camry OR Accord been considered "best", and definitely not in 2010. The Ford Fusion has been ranked higher in reliability since 2006, and as a manufacturer Ford outranked both Honda and Toyota in 2010. Toyota ranked a very low 21st place out of 33 car makers and Honda ranked 6th (BELOW Ford's 5th place). Just today a review rated the new Ford Explorer "At or near the top in the SUV market." Ten million recalls and disposable transmissions aren't a mark of "best" cars.

18th Dec 2010, 21:13

"Sorry to dispel a very obvious (and widespread) myth, but not since 2006 has Camry OR Accord been considered "best", and definitely not in 2010."

Wrong. The Accord is once again on Car and Drivers 10 best, and it has resided on this list, sometimes topping it, for the past 24 years including 2010. When the mighty Fusion does that, you can talk about superiority. Of course, the Accord will be there next year and the year after that, and so on, so you may have to wait quite awhile for your Fusion to match its number of years.

Also, every single source rates imports higher than domestics in overall quality and reliability... including Honda and Toyota. Overall means for their entire body of test results. Yes, Ford ranks higher than Toyota (for now), but overall they do not fair as well as import cars. Lexus is pretty much the only carmaker on J.D. Powers to score virtually perfectly across the board. There is no domestic that even comes close!

And stop going on about the supposed "myth" of import superiority. It is a reality, not a myth. Why else would they top every ranking? Why else would the domestic car companies have copied pretty much every innovation from imports over the past two decades or so? Domestic cars would be nothing without the import ingenuity and advancements that they learned from.

20th Dec 2010, 12:34

"Also, every single source rates imports higher than domestics in overall quality and reliability... including Honda and Toyota. Overall means for their entire body of test results. Yes, Ford ranks higher than Toyota"

This is VERY confusing. The third sentence (which is true) totally refutes the first two sentences. First "every single source rates imports higher" (which isn't true) " then "Ford ranks higher than Toyota" (Which is true. It also ranks higher than Honda). No wonder the myth of foreign superiority is so deeply entrenched in the thinking of Americans.

As for Lexus, they have traded place for top ratings for years with Buick, which has now overtaken them once again in overall quality. None of the imports my family has owned has come close to the reliability and quality of any of our domestics. Our WORST domestic was far better than our BEST import. That is why we won't be import shopping anytime soon. I prefer not to spend my weekends working on broken down cars, though I do occasionally miss tinkering with my cars. I might one day buy a used import just to give me something to do. Since switching to only domestic vehicles in 1999, none of our cars has required a single repair.

20th Dec 2010, 13:05

What is so confusing? Toyota and Honda are not the ONLY import companies out there. ALL import companies combined outrank ALL domestic companies combined. There is no confusion about it. The Fusion is ONE standout car for the domestic auto makers that ranks up with some import brands... just one. As far as Buick and Lexus trading top honors... not according to J.D. Powers. Lexus is the only, I repeat ONLY car maker to score perfectly in every category on their site.

And go for it... buy your domestic cars. I have spent enough on ridiculous repairs for my domestic junk cars. I am an import buyer for life. I have never had a breakdown on any import car, and I am confident that streak will continue.

20th Dec 2010, 19:53

Our '95 Civic turned 126,000 today, not a single problem. Of course not, it isn't a Ford, GM, or Dodge. And that's not at all noteworthy mileage for a Honda, of course. Neither will 226,000 be, when it gets there.

My father in law's Civic is about to turn 200,000; he drove it, without even blinking an eye, most of the way across the country last year. Of course, it isn't a Cavalier or a Dodge Neon or some similar piece of junk that you'd have to worry about it. Neither of them burn a drop of oil between changes or have a single problem. Just like all the Toyota's I've had. They run perfectly for as long as I care to keep them. Which is more than I can say for any domestic vehicle I've ever owned, and I made the mistake of owning a lot of them. I corrected that problem years ago, and have had reliable service with Toyotas, Hondas, and even one Hyundai since then. ALL the domestics broke down, and NONE of the imports ever broke down. Go figure.

22nd Dec 2010, 08:22

Well Consumer Reports just released a story about the Chevy Volt. Seems I was right all along in calling it a glorified $40K Prius. The mileage they got with one was no better than the Prius, and not as good as GM claimed it would be. There's a surprise!! They lied about it even being a gas assisted hybrid originally, and now this...

Once again GM shows that it is an incompetent company that can't compete globally. It amazes me that they have the audacity to charge $40K for this car, and now it is just an average mileage hybrid. Funny how people go on about supporting America and such by purchasing GM vehicles. I guess you don't mind the $15K up charge for essentially the same basic hybrid. Go USA!!

Yeah, I'll stick with Toyota thanks!

22nd Dec 2010, 21:08

As for practical, hands-on experience, we've owned both domestics and imports. None of our domestics ever required a repair before 100,000 miles, and none of our imports made 50,000 miles without some very major repairs. One of our current domestics (a GM) is approaching 100,000 miles, and has not even had so much as a brake job.

23rd Dec 2010, 08:33

And my "practical" experience is exactly the opposite of yours. Domestics are junk as far as I am concerned, and I have $thousands in repair invoices to prove it. I also have never personally known anyone that has driven a GM vehicle without major repairs before 100K miles. Really, we could go back and forth, but what does it prove? Drive what you have luck with, and I'll drive what I have luck with.

23rd Dec 2010, 08:42

"People need to actually CHECK sources before making incorrect statements. Check J.D. Powers "Best Car" ratings for the past decade, and you will find that Buick has been at the top as much as Lexus. You'll also find that the Ford Mustang ALWAYS beats out the Toyota Solara for best in class."

I did, and J.D. Powers TOP SCORING brand is Lexus today. Over the past decade, imports have dominated overall, even if there were brief instances where a domestic car was ranked high. Even Toyota was above Buick within the past decade before the recalls. It doesn't really matter now, since the best Buick has to offer is designed and built in Germany, so it too is an import!

The Mustang beats the Solara, because they outsell them 10 to 1, as the Mustang is the best bang for the buck. I would never argue against the Mustang, since I've owned two of them. See, I am not an import lover, but the facts stand as they do. Even the Honda Accord that people seem to think ranks so poorly is once again on Car and Drivers top ten list... for the 24th year in a row! When ANY domestic car can create that kind of a streak of quality level, I will concede they are as good as import cars. It will never happen though, as the U.S. will cease to exist long before 24 years go by, at the rate we are going.