2009 Toyota Prius from North America - Comments

4th Jan 2011, 15:47

I disagree; lost revenue overseas is causing downsizing and higher unemployment. Where's the hard. data on import profits to review. Anyone care to share? I would like to see how it's offsetting with the new automotive salaries in place by the import mfrs. Downsizing and lowering quality of life to me is not growth. Or tax breaks and concessions where taxes use to be in place. I agree that the worldwide buying choices have increased to the click of a fingertip to shop cheapest. I patronize my local merchants and their service depts, even if a bit higher. Keeps the lights on in the community vs a lot of boarded up buildings. Drive through many towns and see long term businesses, many family run, closing up in droves. Not just cars. It may be a bit late, but it's a start.

4th Jan 2011, 18:28

"Welcome to the 21st century. We now have a global auto industry. If you stop buying imports in the U.S., the whole business will fail including the big three"

Hardly. 90% of people employed in the U.S. in industries related to motor vehicles are employed due to Ford, GM and Chrysler. How anyone can effectively argue that buying any product that only helps TEN PERCENT of any group of workers makes any sense economically needs to take a long, hard look at their priorities. Would you go to a doctor that only cured 10% of his patients? I doubt it. Why buy a car that is both inferior AND takes money away from 90% of the workers in that industry. Please be specific in arguing how 10% is greater than 90%. I'd love to see a rational answer to what should be a very straight-forward question.

4th Jan 2011, 20:13

Not sure what articles you are referring to, but none I read ever claimed the Volt was a purely electric car. That the car gets 32MPG after the battery is depleted is true, but claiming that is is blown away by the Prius leaves out a very important factor - and again this was previously mentioned - the battery mileage.

I can use myself as an example. I own a Prius. On average in real world driving the car gets about 45MPG. In the winter this rate drops to about 43MPG. I have a 60 mile daily commute. So there you have it - the Prius I own gets 45MPG. On the other hand, if I owned a Volt I wouldn't be using any gas until the last 20 miles of my commute. Given that comparison the Volt would be using about 50% less gas overall. A lot of companies are actually planning on installing charging stations in their parking lots. So assuming my company were to do this, I would be able to charge at work and drive home on fully electric mode. Thus the car would basically not even have a MPG rating, because at that point the car would not be using gas. Period.

Simply put, the variables and potential for using either far less or hardly any gas is entirely possible with Volt versus the current Prius, which has no plug-in capability and no matter what, will still get between 45-50MPG because its engine runs most of the time.

The Volt is already a success. GM stated they plan on doubling and maybe even tripling production because the demand for this car has been great. Toyota has plans for a plug-in version of the Prius in 2012. Yes - GM has tried new technologies in the past and some of those have not been successes. But given that Toyota is also planning a plug-in, tells you that this is a legitimate technology.

5th Jan 2011, 06:30

One import commenter says how great it is that some import assembly workers are paying the mortgages in California. It's a great boom to the economy having these jobs. And another recent import owner says it doesn't matter with import auto purchases with the economy. Just buy whatever, SO what is it? So how much of the real overall profit of each vehicle remains was my simple question.

5th Jan 2011, 11:09

... and again the argument over percentages isn't a relevant point here. The absolute bottom line is that buying a domestically produced product, whether it's from a niche segment of the economy, something really specialized like say, cast iron cookware, or a large segment like automotive products, the end result is the same. In doing so, you are in turn putting food on someone's table... right? Is there something wrong with that?

If you buy a Ford, GM, Toyota, or Nissan, no single car is going to help 90% of the entire car manufacturing strata. Instead it helps a much smaller percentage of the whole. Saying that buying "American cars" helps 90% of the population is not applicable to the individual consumer. That's the problem with broad sweeping generalized percentages.

7th Apr 2012, 08:38

I considered the Lincoln MKZ hybrid, which is like a Ford Fusion in a suit! It was a little out of my price range at $43k sticker, but the dealer had a 2012 demo with 5K miles on it for $35k. It had some fit & finish issues that would really bother me on a lesser car, but was not impressed with the way it was aging. I decided to buy an 09 Prius Touring class for $18k instead. The fact that Lincoln uses Toyota's hybrid technology speaks well of both makes. That my brother bought his 08 Prius new, and has almost 90k miles on it, and has done nothing but basic maintenance, also was a factor. Fords are improving, but I am happy with my decision!

7th Apr 2012, 18:04

Commenter 11:09 is obviously not aware of the figures regarding domestic versus import employment in the U.S.

Domestic manufacturers are responsible for fully 90% (probably more now) of the overall automotive-related jobs in the U.S. Purchasing a domestic car helps the 90%. Buying from a foreign company helps only 10% of the automotive workforce. Personally, I prefer to buy a product that helps 90% of my fellow Americans as opposed to contributing to the well-being of only 10%. If you were sick, would you want a medicine that killed 10% of your germs or 90%? It's simply a matter of 90% versus 10%. I choose the 90%.

9th Apr 2012, 02:32

I have ridden in a Prius before, and they are cramped and uncomfortable. Good for saving on gas, but can anyone mention any other positive attribute of this car? Probably not...

Sad to see that this is the "future" of the automobile... ugly, cramped, plastic economy cars; disposable commuter appliances that take away the pleasure of driving...

9th Apr 2012, 10:52

We own the first generation of Prius that came to the US. The car is now approaching 11 years old, and now has over 150,000 miles. It is far from being a cramped, plastic car, and in fact most friends and family who ride in it are surprised that it's quite roomy inside, despite looking like a small car. The new generation of Prius - which many of my friends own - are actually quite large, and more like a medium sized family sedan.

But given that our car is as old as it is, and up till now has yet to have a single problem, despite it being the first generation, using brand-new and unproven technology, proves how well-engineered these cars are.

I remember when they first came out, people would claim that the batteries would fail and cost $10,000. They also claimed the cars would break down because they were too complicated. None of those claims were true, and yet the negative comments continue.