2001 Toyota Sequoia V8 from North America

Summary:

Lemon?

We just bought a 2001 Toyota Sequoia with 94,000 miles. Body is in beautiful condition.

We've had the car on week, already the check engine light has come on, and the mechanic said it has to do with bad exhaust system. Also, the engine makes a fluttering/ticking noise.

Did we get a lemon? Any one else having these problems?

General Comments:

Check engine light remains on due to bad exhaust system, per mechanic report.

Engine makes fluttering/ticking sounds immediately after starting the car, and throughout driving it, regardless of speed.

Review Date: 18th April, 2010

18th Apr 2010, 15:15

A bad exhaust system, guess that means a new cat? Well then have the catalytic converter replaced.

The ticking noise could be a wide variety of things and can be hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. You may be hearing some valve noise, however, it could be something worse such as a rod bearing or main bearing (that's unlikely though. Those can usually be heard upon acceleration). It could be a little piston slap, which usually goes away as the engine reaches operating temperature. My suggestion is to have the "bad exhaust" replaced (I'm guessing your mechanic means the cat) and go from there.

You bought a 9 year old car with 94,000 miles (which I'm amazed at. That's pretty low mileage for a vehicle of that age) DO NOT EXPECT PERFECTION.

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7L V8 from North America

Summary:

Wonderful family off roader with plenty of style, quality, and taste

Transmission gave out, dealer replaced, so far so good.

Mass airflow sensor finally died, had to be replaced.

I cannot recall the exact name of the part, but it was a type of pulley that caused the car to whine very badly while idling.

Check engine light stays on, but the engine runs very well.

Back hatch handle has broken.

Sun/moon roof is probably fine, but it couldn't close itself, so I just don't risk opening it anymore.

General Comments:

The car has been an absolute joy to drive and own. Other than the one time the transmission left my mother and I waiting for a tow truck, it has been as reliable as a bicycle.

The ride is absolutely sublime, and it feels very safe even in rain. That's mostly due to its size, which continues on the inside. This car will swallow your entire family, the dog, your kitchen sink and your luggage. :)

Now I wouldn't suggest hardcore off roading even with the 4wd (which I don't have), because of its weight. But, light and even pretty extreme off roading can be tackled. My 2wd has never gotten stuck while off roading.

Like I said above, some little things have gone wrong, but taking into consideration that the car is eight years old, and it was used, and now has 145,107 miles to boast, this is a very good car.

Also every morning and every evening, it is driven like a rally car very quickly up and down my extremely rocky, muddy and pitted private road, and still has the same suspension it rolled out of the factory with, so yes it is a very good car.

Review Date: 19th January, 2010

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Cheap parts, but not a cheap price

Many issues with car - rear window motor failed, transfer case failed, these were replaced under warranty.

Rear hatch handle failed twice. Several hundred dollars to repair each time.

Also, YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOUR FLAT TIRE if the hatch handle breaks, as you won't be able to get the rear hatch open, so you can't crank the spare down. This is a SERIOUS problem if you expect to be able to deal with a flat.

Review Date: 4th October, 2009

2002 Toyota Sequoia from North America

Summary:

Good vehicle overall

Air conditioner went out at 111,000 miles.

General Comments:

The air conditioner went out at 111,000 miles. That was not an issue for me, I expect some things to go wrong with this many miles. What WAS an issue for me was the cost to repair it. $3,200.00!!! Then I discovered that this is a known problem with the Sequoia as well as the Tundra. Yet the manufacturer did not do a recall on this issue.

I have filed a request for assistance with the repair cost, and am awaiting a response from customer service. I sure hope they help me out, I don't feel anyone should ever have to pay that much money for the repair of an air conditioner, no matter how many miles are on the car, especially when this was a known problem.

Review Date: 28th May, 2009

10th Jun 2009, 14:25

The A/C compressor went out on our 2002 Sequoia sometime before 110,000 miles (during the winter). The dealership wants to charge us $3500 to fix it and admitted that there have been problems with the compressor. I want to know why it wasn't recalled in the first place. Prior to this experience I had a lot of respect for Toyota and their products.