2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited from North America

Summary:

Runs great for me

Bought my Sequoia from an individual (round the 100,000 mile mark) not a dealer.

Back window would not roll down. Previous owner took it to be inspected. Dealership said that the motor was bad. They knocked the price down so that we could afford to get the window fixed. Make a long story short, the window mysteriously started working. Haven't had trouble since.

Brake lights, TRAC, VACS,& brake lights come on all the time.

General Comments:

Took it to my mechanic and they said that the alternator was bad. Replaced the battery before we knew that. So next in line is to purchase and repair the alternator to see if that helps. Also going to try the brake fluid comment. See if that helps.

Other than that, I love my truck. Love Toyota. Had other American made vehicles in the past, not one has been as hardy a vehicle as my Toyotas.

Review Date: 17th October, 2007

5th Jun 2010, 10:14

True that my friend, Toyota rocks, best 4x4 ever.

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 from North America

I have a 2002 Sequoia with 91,000 miles on it. Yesterday the A/C light started blinking, so I called Toyota to take it in for service. When I received a phone call that my com-presser went out and it would cost me $3800.00 + tax to repair, I just about fell out of my chair. Needless to say I did not and will not pay that ridiculous amount of money on this repair. It's a good thing winter is here, so I won't need air for about 8 months. I agree with the others, Toyota needs to step up to the plate and take care of this problem. There needs to be a recall for this problem.I've owned 6 Toyota's over the past 18 years and have never had any problems at all. I might be shopping for a different make next time around.

Review Date: 9th October, 2007

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4 4.7 Gas from North America

Summary:

Very dissatisfied

A/C Compressor failed at 68,000. This caused a system failure in the A/C electronics and a $2,302.95 repair. Dealer quoted $3,500 for same repair opted for local mechanic.

General Comments:

Truck had been good until then. However, the catastrophic A/C failure at relatively low miles is unacceptable to me.

As a now reformed Toyota lover I could not recommend a Toyota to anyone now.

Review Date: 17th September, 2007

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7L 2WD from North America

Summary:

Dependable, but needs more horsepower

Front brakes go out constantly and heat up because there is a lot of weight.

60,000 Replaced front rotors. Upgraded to cross drilled slotted. Dramatically improved the performance of the braking system. Has prevented several accidents from happening and brake system no longer heats up (not even while towing 6,000 pounds on a downhill for an hour and a half). $125.00.

75,000 Replaced the intake system to a performance intake with heat shield. The cone is about 18 inches long. It has improved performance. $75.00.

80,000 Inserted a throttle body spacer. These combined with the intake system improved my gas mileage tremendously. I got about 19 highway miles to the gallon on a trip to San Fransisco. One Tank on the way there and another on the way back. $25.00.

90,000 Rear Differential Spider Gears gave out. The teeth are COMPLETELY worn out. My warranty does not cover this any longer. I went to the dealership and the service tech was stumped when he saw the gears completely chewed out. He just said "Man, we've never had to do any diff changes to the Sequoia." Cost for parts are $1,000.

General Comments:

$ 125.00 Cross-drilled, slotted front rotors

$ 75.00 Performance intake system w/heat shield

$ 25.00 Throttle body spacer

$1000.00 Rear differential.

I really recommend that you make sure that the differential oil is changed every 30,000 miles (the major service is SUPPOSED to do that).

Review Date: 23rd June, 2007

23rd Jun 2007, 22:15

If your brakes are heating up that probably indicates the need to down shift going down hills. That's what your gears are for and it will save your brakes. That being said there are a LOT of people on here complaining about the Sequoia braking system so it could just be a manufacturing defect.

24th Jun 2007, 16:36

It was not a problem of down-shifting or anything else because the braking system is SUPERB now that I have the cross drilled slotted system installed on there.

25th Oct 2007, 08:08

Have 2003 SR5 Toyota Sequoia

At ~70,000 miles vehicle vibrated significantly when brakes were applied. When replacing pads noticed rotors were warped already.

In addition, brake TRAC light now coming on. Computer diagnostics cannot determine that anything is wrong. Dealer charging $75 just to look at the vehicle.

13th Mar 2009, 17:07

Bad differential has nothing to do with getting oil replaced. Practically speaking, a well-sealed differential really will never need its oil changed.