Toyota Sequoia Reviews - Page 5 of 10

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 V8 from North America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic

Summary:

I like the car, may not purchase another one

A/C Compressor and clutch went out at 64000 miles.

Ball joints replaced (on recall)

General Comments:

The Sequoia is a great vehicle for carrying many passengers and has a powerful engine.

There is definitely a problem if all these A/C compressors have gone out within a few years of ownership.

Review Date: 10th March, 2007

10th Mar 2007, 19:28

I can understand your disappointment with your Sequoia. Toyota quality is no more. My last domestic car went over 200,000 miles without ever even having freon added to the A/C (or any other problems for that matter). Sorry you got taken in by Toyota ad hype. You might want to look at the new mid-size GM SUV's. They are more powerful, smoother, use less gas and are WAY more reliable than the problem-prone Sequoia and Highlanders, as well as costing 10 grand less.

11th Mar 2007, 09:36

Actually, you might not want to look at GM SUV's, because they're all low quality, throw-away vehicles. They cost 10 grand less for a reason; you get what you pay for. I'm sorry you're a/c went down, but that's a lot better than having GM engine and transmission troubles.

And by the way, the bottom fell out of GM's already miserable quality control as they try to pump out more vehicles to increase revenue. They're paying for all their past mistakes. Keep your Toyota. It'll still be running fine when today's brand new GM's are off to the crusher.

11th Mar 2007, 11:56

The new GM's may have caught up for 2007 but when the new Highlander comes out it will be another 6 years of agony for GM.

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 from North America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2002
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Scary

I have 644000 miles on my Toyota Sequoia SR5 and the ac stopped. When I took it to the dealership where a continuously serviced it, they determined that I would need a complete new system for $2500. I immediately called Toyota headquarters and they told me that I was out of warranty and "out of luck". What amazes me is that so many other sequoia owners are experiencing the same thing.

General Comments:

Toyota headquarters explained that the problem was, you should not turn the rear ac on before you turn the front one on. Shouldn't they have put this in the manual???

Review Date: 23rd March, 2006

9th Jun 2006, 20:17

Was the mileage actually 644,000 miles or was that a typo? If 644,000 was actual mileage I'd expect at least the AC to be replaced maybe twice over. GT.

10th Jun 2006, 02:42

The system probably just needs recharging which you can do yourself if it's a R-134a system, although it might be worth getting an air conditioning shop to check the system for leaks.

19th Aug 2006, 10:21

How is it "SCARY" that the A/C went out? I clicked on this review thinking that there might be a safety concern... darn it.

25th Oct 2006, 14:03

It's amazing that your Sequoia is still running with 644,000 miles. You must have a long commute.

Is the original engine still in it?

11th Nov 2007, 02:36

Come on people, that mileage has to be a typo! Do the math... the vehicle is an '02 and the review was written in 2006. 644,000 miles in 4 years comes out to 161,000 miles a year, (13,417 miles a month or 447 miles a day, every single day)! Impossible! I'm certain the reviewer must mean 64,000 or maybe 64,400 miles.

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4.7 V8 from North America