2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 2.7L from North America

Summary:

Toyota offers the most reliable vehicles.

6 months = NONE.

General Comments:

I have owned this car for over 6 months now and it is an absolutely amazing truck. *knocking on wood* I have not had a single problem in my entire 6 months of driving it very hard in the bad streets of Houston, Texas. My PreRunner came with manual windows which suck at times and the cloth seats are crap on long distance trips. Although I do feel it I underpowered, it s a 4 cylinder so I cannot expect much. And being a 4 cylinder, I would expect better gas mileage than the 17MPG I am getting in ALL city driving, but it is a truck with a pretty large 4 cylinder and all of my driving is stop-n-go. I am a die hard sports car fanatic, so when I do decide to give my Tacoma up, I will be sad.

Review Date: 12th September, 2007

2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable truck!

I have had nothing go wrong with this truck. It has no issues at all. Everything is still in new condition.

General Comments:

Best truck ever. I have driven this truck from coast to coast. It has not let me down.

The only thing I wish it had was 4x4. So it doesn't do so great in the snow.

I get about 20 mpg in the city, and 25 on the highway.

Review Date: 24th August, 2007

2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner 2.7 3RZ-FE from North America

Summary:

The Truck for Every Purpose!

Front Brake Pads worn out at 175,000 kilometers.

Rear Leaf Springs sag a little, making the rear of the truck lean to the left a bit – apparently this is a fairly common issue with these trucks though.

The Struts and Shocks are beginning to show their age at 177,000 kilometers. They will likely need replacement in the foreseeable future.

Other than that, the truck has been as solid as a rock!

General Comments:

For a 2.7 Liter 4 Cylinder pulling the weight of a truck around, the performance is quite good. This engine has good power and torque for its size, and offers reasonable fuel economy too.

As many Tacoma owners will point out, the clock is placed in a bizarre spot on the dashboard, but you get used to it after a while. It would make more sense if they put the clock into the radio where many other manufacturers place it.

The front bucket seats are quite comfortable, although the rear jump seats are not very comfortable for adults.

The truck has no problem carrying or pulling any load I have thrown its way yet!

Gas mileage is not that great compared to a car, but for a truck it really is not too bad (17-19 mpg)

It would be nice if the 4 Cylinder Pre-runner models were offered with a manual transmission and the rear differential locker as options. The differential lock is available with 6 cylinder Pre-runners, but not the 4 cylinder trucks. With these options, the 2 Wheel drive Pre-runner Tacomas would be almost as good off road as the 4X4 Tacomas are.

I have found the Toyota Service Departments to be fairly rude, unhelpful, and overpriced on the occasion that I had to deal with them. I usually do my own maintenance on my truck so this does not affect me very much.

Review Date: 25th June, 2006

2001 Toyota Tacoma quadcab 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

This mini truck never failed to haul or pull anything I needed moved

Small clunking when starting out.

General Comments:

Very reliable.

Versatile, its amazing what you can haul and pull with this truck. even with the short bed.

Review Date: 20th January, 2006

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 ltr 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

This truck is amazing!

The gasket around the windshield is coming up, but it was installed by the previous owner.

Alternator failed around 60000 miles, but only because too much mud got into it, and I fixed the problem when I took it apart.

Every time I work on it, I break bolts. I've broken 3 bolts on the belt tensioners, 3 on the skid plate, and more in various places.

Thermostat sensor went out after a really big bump.

General Comments:

I love this truck. I am really, really, really hard on it, but it just takes it and keeps going. Everything that has gone wrong was definitely my fault, and easily fixed. I am very impressed with the 2.7 liter engine mated to the 5 speed transmission. It has plenty of power for city driving, but could use some help for long inclines on the highway. The four wheel drive works flawlessly and I use it all the time. I can't say I've never gotten it stuck, but it took a HELL of a lot to get it stuck.

This is just one incredibly solid truck. Gas mileage is definitely not great, but what can you expect from a 4x4?

Review Date: 12th April, 2005