2002 Vauxhall VX220 2.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A high performance bargain, don't be put off by the badge - this is a classic sports car

Nothing major wrong with the car apart from the rear lights fog up with condensation. Dealer are saying the solution is to leave the lights on for 20 minutes. Not an acceptable solution.

Also the alarm seems to be a bit tricky, one of the sensors needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

Great car to drive - puts a smile on your face. Fast and responsivey. Nice sparse interior, very wide sills make it a bit tricky to get in and out of especially when a hardtop is fitter.

Lots of fun, cheap to run and there aren't so many on the roads.

Review Date: 1st February, 2003

2002 Vauxhall VX220 2.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Buy one now!!

So far nothing has gone wrong, Although I'm not sure about the quality of the bonnet fixing - this often seems to move about more than you would expect!

General Comments:

I used to have an Elise which I loved, but found hard to live with.

I find the VX220 easier to live with on a daily basis, when the roof is on I find the VX to be slightly easier to get into than the Lotus and the roof much easier to remove and put on.

The seats are slightly more comfy than the Lotus, and the brakes somewhat better and easier applied with servo assistance and ABS.

The performance I find ever so slightly better than the Elise, Although the vx weighs more it has more power, and on that note the power is more usable with a lot more low down grunt.

The handling is virtually the same as the Lotus, with the steering in both telling you everything that is happening with the car, you feel everything!!

I find the that the only difference in the handling is that the VX is much easier to drive on the limit than the Lotus, and is much easier to drive consistently quick on track days.

I love this car and would buy the VX over the Lotus again!! This car gives me a permanent grin!!

Well Done Vauxhall!!!

Review Date: 9th July, 2002

2nd Nov 2002, 09:55

The bonnet is easily fixed, your dealer should be able to do it in about ten minutes or you can just bend the lock down a bit yourself. The extra tension stops if flapping at the trailing edges.

19th Feb 2006, 11:15

I was just looking for an Elise and thought of the VX220 as a comparison. I was checking value for money etc and really just wanted somebody to tell me the differences from an owners/drivers point of view. I just want to say thanks, you could have added another VX220 to the roads...