Great car let down by a crappy transmission
Rattle noises at certain speeds in the left front door.
Ongoing and endless issues with the automatic transmission.
Original factory Continental tyres are only good for 20000 to 25000 kilometers.
For the price and as a city car, it is spot on.
• Modern design and good looks.
• Great interior (when compared to others cars in its class and price).
• Amazing road holding; almost feels like a go cart around corners.
• Surprisingly roomy for such a small exterior.
• Good ergonomics, I am 6 foot and am able to find a comfortable driving position.
• Better than average stereo, with Bluetooth for your phone.
• Fuel economy at 6.5L/100km is on the good end of the scale.
• Air con is adequate.
• Usable boot size (again when compared to others in the class such as the Suzuki Swift).
• Under the bonnet, the car still looks like new; no leaks or issues of any kind.
• The ride is a little harsh. I guess that is the trade-off for the brilliant handling.
• Engine sounds a little harsh
Here comes the big one, the Powershift 6 speed dry dual clutch auto is a shocker. I could write volumes about the issues with the auto, but here is a small summary:
• When you slow down or stop, it sounds like a mechanic just dropped a handful of spanners under the bonnet.
• First gear is useless; only engages for the first few seconds.
• Second gear slips; had it back to Ford several times, and they then reset and calibrate the auto. It works fine for a couple of weeks, and then plays up again.
• Driving up the hill into the garage, it will suddenly leap forward when accelerating.
• Auto smarts (computer) is pretty stupid. It doesn’t know if you're accelerating or slowing down. Many times it selects the wrong gear, or worse, doesn’t disengage when you stop in time.
• The auto is supposed to learn your driving style, but instead, if you want to live with this car, you will have to adopt your driving to accommodate the dimwitted auto.
In summary, I love the car, but whatever you do, get the manual, or if you must have an auto, look somewhere else.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 7th March, 2013