1985 Toyota MasterAce Surf (4WD) 2.0 turbo diesel
Practical, reliable, economical - a road mate!
- Glow plugs gone around 180.000.
- Diesel pump needed replacement at around 200.000km.
- Radiator 75% blockage around 220.000km.
- Fuel gage works funny: Full tank shows as empty and then from half tank down shows correctly.
- Rust built up a bit (OZ lifestyle to blame I guess)
- Increasing oil leak since a while now, have to check that soon...
Well, I did 270.000 km in 6 years on this van and it never - not once! - let down.
Very economic engine, between 9 and 10lt per 100km.
Not the fastest thing out there but suits well the Australian speed limits - max speeds here are 110km/h.
7 seats: all seats fold creating a huge horizontal area. Seats come off very easy too. Plenty of room for a small van.
High and Low 4wd ranges. Not a "real" 4wd because it lacks the clearance but otherwise very good on sandy patches where a 2wd van just gets stuck.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 16th November, 2008