1992 Peugeot 205 XT 1.4 petrol
Great little car, but with a dangerous issue
Cracked headlight glass (easy to replace).
Worn out rubber covers front drive train (ripped just where they were attached).
Faulty computer unit (which is to control the plugs instead of a Bobine as I was told, see below).
Though we had this Peugeot as a second car for just a short period and just for practical reasons, it was fun to have.
- An absolute joy to drive: very nimble, very quick and small but practical (relatively big boot)... an ideal car for the city.
- I noticed that the red paint was very good: easy to maintain and not that fragile as my other and more recent cars.
- This car is an absolute beauty.
- The seats were probably ideal for little women, but not for me. Much too soft, and the head rest couldn't be lifted above my neck. Seems typical for French cars.
- We had a lot of trouble with that computer unit as mentioned above: the car would suddenly stall while driving (it has happened while doing 120km/u), which was just absolutely dangerous. It was possible to restart the engine after a few attempts, but the computer unit would give up more and more until it eventually dies. I was told that this was a common problem with these engines (because it couldn't stand the heat), as it was becoming difficult to find replacement units. I recall we needed three replacements, which is a shame.
We'd probably still own this 205, if it wasn't for that computer unit-failure. It's beautiful, practical, fast, cheap and easy to maintain, and thus ideal as a second car for short trips.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 22nd April, 2009