1995 Daihatsu Cuore 850cc gasoline
Good, cheap, and loud
Clutch renewed at 111.000 Km.
Front drive axles and gears at 148.000 Km.
Bought it used from a Swiss lady – almost like getting a car from the priest, right? - with 111.000 Kilometers on it.
Exchanged the clutch and the shocks immediately after buying it – Costa Rica’s roads are very poor with lots of potholes, bumps, etc..
The car was very reliable and did not let me down once in whatever kind of weather.
· Very fuel-efficient. Ran it at an overall average of 6,52l / 100Km (36.10 mpg) mostly in stop & go city traffic. On the open road it would get down to 5,70l / 100Km.
· Good engine response, even for a 850cc three-cylinder sawing machine.
· Good visibility, even for a small and relatively low car.
· Excellent brakes.
· Very good body finish. It did not have one speck of rust, even in this tropical climate.
· It paid less road tax than for my 750cc Yamaha Virago motorbike.
· Loud! (I am a retired sound recordist).
· No 5th gear.
· Spare parts horribly expensive.
· God forbid having a frontal crash with it.
I eventually sold the car with 148.000 Km on it due to arising problems with the front drive chain, and “lost” just a thousand Dollars after three years of fun and reliability.
I am getting a 2003 Cuore in the next few days, and we’ll see how that one turns out.
Saludos from Costa Rica!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 1st June, 2005