1987 Opel Ascona LS 1.6i
One of Opel's best cars
With aging, eventually you must change a lot of engine parts; this is normal.
- Water pump.
- Engine oil sensor (was squirting oil).
- EGR valve died and it was disconnected from the system. ECU was sent for repair, monopoint fuel injection was repaired, new fuel pump (China?).
- After a month, it needed a new fuel pump (BOSCH).
- After one year, water in the fuel tank and system (cheap pump station). Had to replace the entire monopoint fuel injection set, and new fuel lines from the fuel tank to the engine (old ones were rusty and clogged).
- Fuel sensor made a hole in the fuel tank.
85 000km, replaced ECU and entire monopoint fuel system.
Very good car, the only problem I've seen is the monopoint - if something is not working there, the engine won't run properly - I heard a lot of people saying engine bad, valves bad, this and that - after you replace the monopoint, the engine runs like a baby. I replaced it from other Opel cars like the Vectra or Astra in a scrapyard for like 34EUR.
Good at staying on the road, but it can't compete with new suspensions on new cars, but still it goes like a rocket.
I have no rust and the car looks like new. It even runs like new.
I don't trust the mechanics any more, especially not the dealer service - lazy people that charge fees / loosen a few bolts or spark plugs so your engine would not run properly. They even broke a few bolts on the engine and used silicone to plug the oil drip.
I maintain the car myself, and I have no issues since I started to do maintenance myself.
Really a good car, I will never sell it.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 1st June, 2013
2nd Jun 2013, 22:59
Hi, greetings from South America. Glad to know you like the Ascona. Mine is an Ascona C, made in Brazil, and I have made the same repairs.
I'll give you a tip: here I found that Daewoo parts fit in the Ascona C; you should try, they're better than Chinese parts. The Daewoo Racer has Opel Kadett tech, and the Daewoo Espero has Opel Ascona C tech.