2001 Fiat Punto Mk2 SX 1.2 16v
The worst piece of crap ever!!!
I have only had the car for one and a half years, and in this period, I have driven 26.000km in it. During that time, the following things have gone wrong:
- Cam belt (not at fault, but pay attention that it has to be done every 3 years or 80.000km!).
- Wiper connection fell off due to wear, and had to be replaced.
- Oil pan was corroded and had to be replaced.
- Ignition coil, spark plugs and cables had to be replaced.
- Lambda probe had to be replaced.
- Cab blower does not work on steps 3, and the whole control panel must be replaced.
- Clutch squeaks, and must be replaced at some point.
- Exhaust has also been replaced.
- A/C is not working, and must be refilled.
The Italians are good at design, and I've always liked this Punto model.
It is reasonably fast, with its 80 HP.
It is very quiet in the cabin, especially when driving on motorways, because of the high gear ratios.
This also makes it economical, and it typically runs 17 km / litre in normal driving on motorways. Parts are reasonable cheap, but you just need too many of them! The reason is that Punto is constructed cheaply.
Be aware that the paint is thin, so it easily gets damaged paintwork, and therefore rust.
I am 191cm tall, and with normal seat adjustment, there is not much space behind the driver's seat.
The seats collapse in the foam, and the seat upholstery are not of the best quality, since it is difficult to keep clean if you get a spot on it.
I used to drive a XM, which until this, had the title as the worst car I had ever owned. But it had also been driven more than twice as much as the Punto.
I am used to French cars, and they are not known for their reliability, but this car beats everything!!!
Italian again??? Never ever!!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 18th February, 2012