2004 Volkswagen Touareg R5 2.5 TDI turbo diesel
Very good, but VW must take care of reliability
1. Engine faults at 100.000 km out of warranty. Cost 2500 euro.
2. Three times until now, had a problem with the battery (out of order). Cost about 1000 euro.
3. Before a month ago, had a problem with the electrical seat switch. Cost 250 euro.
4. Last year, the transmission started to make a noise when changing gears. We will see the cost when the time comes.
5. Always have some alarm on the screen through electronics failure.
Except for the above mentioned problems, which are unacceptable in such a car category, the Touareg is very good at road handling and driving. It's a kilometer eater as I say, with very good climate control, sound system, air suspension, and it's very comfortable.
It is also very safe in all road conditions (off and on road), and of course very comfortable, even when towing my 1600 kg caravan.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 9th August, 2012
10th Aug 2012, 16:50
VW didn't address quality of design or reliability from model years 1987 through 1997, and the 20+ years that I owned an Audi and a VW. It would be dreaming to think they were interested in those issues, aside from the hype about "German" Engineering. And both of mine were built in Germany. They are appealing to drive while new, but that wears off quickly after a few years.
28th Nov 2013, 09:46
I have a 2004 Touareg. I have had nothing but problems since day one! The light on the dash light up like a Christmas tree. I must have taken the car back to the dealer at least 20 times; they cannot figure out what the problem is with this big piece of sh**. I will NEVER buy another VW.