2002 Buick Regal LS 3.8 Series II GM Non-Supercharged
Good under warranty, do not buy used
- All four McP suspensions were replaced at 130,000 km.
- Fuel sending unit sensor has been replaced twice in the last 40k.
- Replaced lower control arm on both driver and passenger side.
- Front bearings have been replaced 3 times - both driver and passenger.
- Driver's side heated seat stopped working.
- Windows are slow to go up and down.
- Rear view mirror auto dim went bad at around 130k. The 7-pin connector doesn't seem to be manufactured well.
- Steering wheel mounted controls worn out and is difficult to depress at times.
- Odometer light went dim after 190k. Typical with the W-body car.
- Catalytic converter had to be replaced at 90k, and is still a problem.
- TRANSMISSION is horrible. Every now and then the transmission will jerk. Expensive to fix as any transmission would be. Apparently typical for the 465T transmission, but of course GM doesn't want to fix it for free, especially when it started around 150k.
- Wire connecting the back light assembly (that goes through the trunk hinge) will wear out and eventually break the wire, causing the back up light and brake lights to not come on
- Hub cap centre on the 5/6 spoke wheel will come off every now and then. I have had to replace 3 of them before I gave up.
- The Dexcool coolant will eat up the lower and upper manifold gasket.
- EGR valve is made out of plastic, and will actually burn and fuse to the steel port.
I understand that cars breakdown due to normal wear and tear, but when there are common issues, GM should honor their product, regardless of KM or age.
For example, the catalytic converter issue above is well known for this particular model. It is under extended GM warranty until 190000 km or 8 years (I think, it might be 10 years). I didn't know this until 200000 km, at which point they said no. The cost to replace the catalytic converter is in the $1000+. And guess what? My car will no longer pass emissions anymore because of this.
In the performance category, I agree that this car is excellent. It is a sleeper at 220hp and 200 torque.
Overall, I think this is an excellent car. Just not after the warranty period.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 12th April, 2012