1985 Ford F250 460 CID
A good woods and work truck
What hasn't gone wrong LOL?
1. Bad alternator when purchased.
2. Minor brake problems; most likely caused by the previous owner.
3. Minor glitches with the wiring; tail lights have never worked right.
4. U-joints in the front end needed to be replaced, and boy is that center one a um... joy.
5. Clutch and flywheel went bad this year, and I found out it is a
"rare" flywheel. However it seems the old one had been resurfaced a few too many times, and I did have to locate a new one.
For as old and beat up as it is, it is a good old truck. It has the 460 motor, I rebuilt it a few years ago, 4 speed manual and 4:10 rears. Haven't run it enough yet to get the motor broke in, and the fuel mileage is pretty low right now.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 14th October, 2012
28th Feb 2013, 21:41
Do these trucks have a "granny gear" AKA first gear? My husband just bought a 1985 F250; the 1st gear is really slow...
9th Apr 2014, 08:11
Yes, it is normal. I've had a 72 F250, and now an 85 F250, and I usually only use 1st gear when I'm pulling out tree stumps on my property. While I'm driving in the city limits, I start it out in 2nd gear.