1988 Opel Kadett LS 1.3
Awesome, never to be seen again, value!
- Alternator dies once a year.
- Had some major services, but a while ago now.
We've had some errors on the car through the years, but judging from some of the stories I've heard about people buying a new car and it dies kilometers later, the money we spent on her is negligible.
She is surprisingly cheap to fix and maintain. A fact I recently reminded myself off when I ended up on the business end of a Camry. I would say the biggest failure for, at least my Kadett, is the driver...
- Styling, to my eye, still looks contemporary.
- Small, agile little runabout.
- Surprisingly economical.
- Surprisingly nippy.
- Relatively cheap to maintain.
- Drives like a go-kart: Really fast steering wheel response (slim, hard tyres).
- Perfect car to get going on your driving career!
I started commuting to and from University with this car in 2004. She has been in the family since 1991 when my dad bought her second-hand. So, I was under the impression that she will give us a lot of trouble.
She did not: This car is a little soldier! She allowed me to spend my diminutive wages on student stuff, not fixing a car all the time...
And from 2008, I've been using her to commute another 80Km's per day to and from work: She just keeps going!
I have had the thought before that the fallibility built into all modern products, was skipped on the Kadetts, and as a result, it is probably the nicest car you will ever own.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 17th April, 2012