1983 Honda Accord DX 1.6 CC
Reliable, comfortable and extremely cheap motoring
Bob-weights seized on engine in 1997 causing occasional back-firing. It took 5 trained Honda mechanics to free it.
Clutch cable snapped in 2002. First time car had actually "broken down".
Taking car to scrap heap tomorrow (28-Sept-2002), though sad to see it go:
1. Gearbox cover plate has rusted to nothing - the oil is leaking through a plate of rust.
2. Rear and central exhaust sections have rusted.
3. Passenger side windscreen de-laminating and starting to crack.
4. Both near-side and off-side sills rusted (changed one of them 3 years ago).
5. Structural rust near off-side rear suspension - this might require dismantling of the suspension before welding.
6. All 4 wheel arches have rusted, especially off-side.
Superbly reliable despite its age and little maintenance.
Quiet and comfortable ride. Like a limousine when sat in the back.
Thoughtfully designed and superbly built - no corners cut.
Mechanics are superb, but couldn't stop the structural rust.
Barely spent a penny on it except sensible things when I first bought it (new cam belt, oil changes etc).
Passed every MOT for last 4 years, but will not pass this year - I've done no maintenance to it for 2 years.
Even though the engine oil is now like tar (18 months old), the car drives beautifully.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 27th September, 2002