2000 Acura 1.6 EL Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 1.6 VTEC Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Great commuter car

Nothing has gone wrong with the car.

As for regular maintenance:

Oil changes every 5000 km.

Front brakes pads/rotors 147000km.

Universal exhaust joint installed after running over a piece of rebar on the highway.

Rust starting on the front passenger side of hood.

General Comments:

The Acura EL was purchased as a commuter car. It served its purpose really well. Never been stranded. The car was sold recently due to my growing family.

This car came with many great options. It did not have leather or heated seats, which is great, because throughout time, the leather would crack from the heat and become an eyesore.

The acceleration was decent because it's a manual, thankfully.

Interior space was adequate for four grown adults. Trunk space was generous.

Fuel mileage was great. 6.5L/100KM in the summer, around 7.5L/100KM in the winter. But with gas prices rising, filling up my tank cost around $57.00 CAN at $1.30/ L.

Review Date: 9th May, 2012

2000 Acura 1.6 EL Sport 1.6L VTEC from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 1.6L VTEC Manual
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

A great daily driver that's resonably sporty and fun to drive

As stated in previous entries these cars have problems with the power window motors as well as the key-less entry modules.

My power windows are working, but take a long time to open.

My key-less module stopped working at 125k.

Acura dealers are VERY expensive and I would not recommend any of them. Find yourself a reliable mechanic for your maintenance needs.

I still have not fixed the key-less as I can live without it and it is a dealer dependent service (with means $$$)

General Comments:

Overall this is a good little car that will satisfy most folks. If you have not already done so have a valve adjustment done. It was supposed to be done at 48k according to the manual, but a lot of people overlook this and the mileage suffers for it. After I did the valve adjustment my mileage went from 350kms per tank to 500kms per tank in mixed city and highway driving.

For the sporty driver this car will leave you wanting for more.

For the luxury minded driver, you will notice considerable road noise for a so called 'entry level' luxury car.

Having driven this car for 50k kms I will recommend it to anyone. I have peace of mind that it will not leave me stranded. At 170k the engine still drives like new which would leave me to believe that this car can go upto 500k without any problems.

A/C works great in summer without straining the engine much. Pickup is not effected too much with the A/C.

Suspension is a little still for my liking, but I was used to a Camry before this!

Resale value is great. Please check with your insurance before purchasing this vehicle as I learnt that this car is used by a lot of people who like to modify/race them. The insurance was twice as much as my camry. Please look out for any performance mods if you are purchasing such as car as this should bring up a red flag in your mind!

Hope this review helps!

Review Date: 5th January, 2008

16th Jul 2012, 18:56

Same problems with my windows not going up. I sprayed a silicone lubricant on the rubber around the windows, and haven't had a problem since. As for the keyless entry remote, I ordered one online and programmed it myself. Didn't even have to get my husband to help. I got the instructions online.

Love my car. Going to drive it until the engine goes. Pam.

2000 Acura 1.6 EL Premium 1.6 litre engine from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 1.6 litre engine Manual
Previous carAcura Integra

Summary:

A somewhat reasonable compromise between performance/fuel efficiency/creature comforts.

* One day during the summer, the power door locks began to mysteriously lock and unlock themselves -- lasted for a few weeks until one day it mysteriously stopped. Very annoying when driving, or returning to a car that you had previously locked!

General Comments:

Pros:

Good fuel economy (7.44 litres/100 km).

Operating air conditioning doesn't seem to significantly affect fuel economy.

Simple and easily accessible controls (heating, stereo, etc.)

Included features (e.g. power sunroof/moonroof, heated seats/mirrors, power doorlocks, power windows, fold-down rear seats, alarm system, cruise control, etc.).

Attractive exterior styling.

Aside from power door lock bugaboo, I have had no problems with mechanics or body integrity.

Cons:

Not a lot of horse power (need to get to the upper RPMs to get performance out of engine).

Bugaboo with speedometer during cold climates (sometimes needle will temporarily "stick")

Leather is not supple (lower grade leather, in my opinion).

Handling (steering and cornering) below that of older Integra models (e.g., 1991).

Imperfections in the road can be a little unsettling for the car (lessening my confidence in it's handling ability).

My knee hits the steering wheel column when I applying the brakes (maybe not the greatest, ergonomically-speaking, for tallish drivers).

Review Date: 21st October, 2006

19th Apr 2008, 23:24

Update: I have now reached 144,000 KMs on the car, and since my previous report I have not had any new issues with the car. On thing of note, my overall fuel economy has improved. After putting on roughly 50,000KM, my overall cummulative fuel consumption average reached a low of 7.34L per 100KM. After looking back at my spreadsheet, the only things I have done on this car have been oil changes, brake pads/rotors, air filters, spark plugs, coolant replacement, wiper blades. I have yet to replace the muffler!

When I look at other luxo-car reviews, I think it might be difficult to give up this EL when the time comes (baby just arrived, but so far I have been able to install child seat rear-facing in rear seat, passenger-side... however with that said, I don't think I can have a front passenger sitting beside me while the baby is in the back (and my wife is 5 ft 2.