2004 Alfa Romeo 156 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2004 Alfa Romeo 156 Veloce JTD 2.4 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2004
Previous carFord Mondeo

Summary:

Diesel missile with an astonishing soundtrack

Rear wheels rub on arches when the car is fully laden.

Glovebox lid is slightly crooked.

General Comments:

Successful restyle means it's still one of the best looking saloon cars on the road. The optional 17" alloys finish it off nicely.

Italian leather seats are very special and as well as being comfy, smell and feel like no other. Interior is still very stylish, although some of the materials are on the cheap side. Built quite solidly though and surprisingly free of squeaks. Love the Lamborghini Miura style hooded dials which have the bonus of being invisible from the passenger seat - great if you have a backseat driving wife who goes into whinge mode when you exceed the speed limit. As I do.

New "Multijet" 2.4 five cylinder turbodiesel engine is utterly fantastic, and I cannot believe how little exposure this amazing engine has had in the press. No diesel clatter once warm (even at idle!) and a massively impressive 175 bhp and 375 Nm of torque. No turbo lag whatsoever, and from just 1500 RPM, it boots the car up the road with sufficient thrust to squeeze you into the seat, whilst delivering an Audi Quattro-esque five pot warble as it does so. Being an Alfa, the sound is at just the right level and of just the right quality to make you grin. I don't know how Alfa did it, but they have produced an engine which is truly indistinguishable from a good petrol unit, apart from a redline at 5k instead of 7.

Handling is OK, but not as balanced as my previous Mondeo TDCi 130 and with a greater tendency to understeer. Steering is good though with lots of feel, and the gear change quality is satisfactory. Fuel economy on motorways and fast A-roads is stunning at 45 mpg, but quickly drops into the mid 30's with town and twisty B-road work. For the performance on offer, even the lower figure is deeply impressive.

This car is one of the best kept secrets on the road. I challenge even the most hardened diesel sceptic to walk away unimpressed after a test drive. Love it to pieces!

Review Date: 23rd February, 2004

2nd Aug 2004, 09:13

I'm glad to hear that Alfa has continued to improve its diesels. During 2000 - 2002, I was privileged to live in Rome while on temporary assignment. During that time, I had a 2000 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD. This was my first extensive experience driving a diesel and was hooked as a result. Great performance coupled with great fuel mileage is a selling combination. Now that the 2.4 JTD has been upgraded to a 4 valve head, I was anxious to hear about the results. You review confirmed my expectations. I just wish Alfa would get around to bring these cars to the States. Have fun driving. BTW: In the two years I drove the 156 I had no problems. None...zero.

29th Sep 2004, 03:43

With my company car being due for replacement I have recently test driven a 156 2.4: WOW!

This is a "dream diesel" for anyone who really enjoys driving and far quicker than my current Audi A4 Tdi "Sport". Granted some of the interior plastics are a little low rent, but I'd forgive it pretty much anything for the way it drives.

I've placed my order this morning and can hardly wait. To anyone looking at the usual boring BMW / Audi product I would say don't bother: Go Italian.

The only thing that baffles me is that Alfa aren't selling lorry loads of these things.

10th Dec 2004, 06:16

I hired a 2.4 JTD TI for a weekend in the Alps. What a fantastic car! Put the foot down in any gear, and the car just takes off! Long steep mountain gradients were just eaten up. As some other have mentioned, I did have to think twice when refuelling "was it a petrol or diesel?", as the diesel rattle is just not there.

I am currently looking to replace my current car with one of these...