1972 AMC Gremlin -X 304C.I.D V8 from North America

Best built domestic built car of this era

At 2300 miles, the rear end was making some unusual whirring noise. Ring gear was defective. Warranty replacement on the ring gear fixed the problem.

General Comments:

We were a "Nash/Rambler" family from the beginning. Dad with his Nash Ambassador of 1955, Mother, with her Rambler American 440H (which I inherited later on), then trading in the Rambler for the Gremlin in 1972.

I was looking at a sub-compact in this year, and noticed that Chevy's with their Vegas, and Fords with their Pintos, were hundreds more than a base Gremlin, which was a far better built car to come out of a domestic USA plant. True, the Japanese were "invading" us with Toyota's, and Datsun's, but these imports haven't seated themselves as they have now back then. Finally, I took to the liking of a Jolly Green Gremlin-X with the 304 (5.0L) V8 under the hood. What a blast this car was to own. Now, after reading the histories and seeing pictures (including my own) of the Gremlin, now I wished that I still had that car.

Review Date: 20th March, 2005

29th Apr 2005, 11:38

Regarding the comment above:

I imagine the original author's assertion is quite serious.

Take a minute and think about the Gremlin's contemporary competitors: Vega/Monza, Pinto, Colt, Cricket... The Gremlin was built far better than any of these.

2nd May 2005, 06:58

Uh...the Colt and Cricket were not domestic cars, and while the Cricket was and is a piece of crap, the Colt was actually very well built, certainly much better than the Gremlin!

1972 AMC Gremlin x 5.0 from North America

Purple was the best color

The clutch went out two times.

One set of u-joints were replaced.

General Comments:

The car was the best American car I have ever owned. I would buy on in a heart beat if they were still made.

Review Date: 7th January, 2004

7th Nov 2005, 18:00

Purple WAS the best color! I loved my Gremlin!!! (Wish I'd kept it...)

26th Aug 2007, 01:41

Copper/Tan with gold stripes was the best color, and rare even then. I specially ordered mine/1973 Gremlin X 304 V8 model year. Best paint endurance of any car I have ever owned. You could sit on the hood without an issue, unlike my new Accord that my young son dented by just lightly sitting on one.