1977 AMC Pacer Wagon 4.2 I-6 from North America

Summary:

Wider is better

Nothing. I paid 500 bucks for this car, and changed the spark plugs. No problems at all.

General Comments:

It handles great although a bit top-heavy. The seats were very easy on the body. It started first time every time until I sold it. Made of Jeep parts, but don't take it mudding. The first wide-track car, first factory impregnated rollbar, first cab-forward design, etc. An innovator.

Very fast on the top end and not too bad out of the gate. Awesome towing and pushing power. It lays down a good sized black mark.

Review Date: 13th May, 2004

7th Jun 2004, 10:08

Please explain what a "factory iompregnated rollbar" is?

30th Jun 2004, 20:54

Believe that should read INTEGRATED roll bar.

3rd Jul 2004, 20:15

You laid a black mark with the 258? Hmm, maybe if you cut your rear brake lines first or something, heh.

19th Oct 2004, 20:46

Where did you get the idea that the Pacer came equipped with a roll bar?

Is it because the B-pillar LOOKS like a roll bar?

Next time you see one in a junkyard, peel off the headliner (if it hasn't fallen out already) and see whether there is a roll bar in there.

Doh!

19th Dec 2004, 19:15

Yeah, an AMC 258 will lay serious rubber if it's running right. At just over 100HP, it's got GOBS of torque.

27th Sep 2007, 00:30

Uhh...I don't think the info in the first comment is correct. I remember the intro of the Porsche 911T in the USA in 1971. Factory integrated roll bar standard. In 1961, the Pontiac Tempest was transform into what became the legendary GTO. It featured a big engine stuffed in a little car and wider tracking for improved performance, hence Pontiac being known for it's tradition of "wide track" performance cars. The Volkswagen Transporter (type II) debut in the early 1950s if I am not mistaken. It featured "cab forward" design. I'm not trying to put the Pacer down, but I do believe the comments regarding "first" are incorrect and should be re-written or defined in how they are "firsts". That's all.

1976 AMC Pacer X Gas from North America

Summary:

Great vehicle stuck with a few faulty components

Rotors warped... Subsequently, rack and pinion had to be replaced.

Door sag.

Poor warranty.

General Comments:

I loved this "unique --fish bowl" vehicle when I first bought it...It came with a 6 month warranty...And everything worked great for the first 6 months...I'm not sure what happened, but the rotors warped, such that if you stepped on the brakes, the steering wheel violently shimmied. This very quickly wrecked the rack and pinion steering... Had to wait forever for a replacement.... And expensive!!

The drivers door is wider than a standard vehicles door, and hence sagged from the weight.

The vehicle looked absolutely ugly from the back, but from the front, it was ultra modern... Never had any problem with the transmission or engine. Very solid vehicle.

Review Date: 18th December, 2003

18th Dec 2003, 17:33

Glad to finally see a Pacer review on this site. I never had one, but I remember what a stir they made when they first appeared. Too bad the novelty apparently wore off after the first year or so. You can still see them on the road occasionally, and now they show up on ebay as collector's items. I hope I can find one at a reasonable price someday. Despite what you may think about AMC quality, the fact remains that they made some of the most distinctive cars of the 1970's: the Matador coupe, the Pacer, even the Gremlin-still turn heads today.