1977 Audi 80 Review

1977 Audi 80 GLS 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1977
Previous carVolkswagen Scirocco

Summary:

Not bad, but a little past its best

Pin fell out of the gear linkage on the way back from London leaving me with just third and fourth gear. Only cost £35 to fix though, mostly labor.

Carburetor has required serious attention due to poor set up by previous mechanics and wear. It has cost about £80 to fix.

Drive shaft is making a lot of noise and sounds like it needs replacing, which should cost about £80.

General Comments:

It was only £270 and has real 1970's period charm, or bad taste depending on how the lime green and tobacco interior grabs you.

It has a full service history and has been well cared for to last 25 years. Performance is average by modern day standards and must have been swift in its day. Although it shows its age when on motorways in the ride, brakes, noise and lack of fifth gear.

It does all the things a car needs to do for my needs, although I am not trusting it to get me to Edinburgh for New Year. Its not bad for the price and the fact that I still haven't seen another since I bought it makes it a little special. Oh did I mention I get classic insurance for about half the price of normal insurance?

Review Date: 28th December, 2002