1984 Audi 80 Reviews

1984 Audi 80 GL 1.8 from Belgium

Model year1984
First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2001

Summary:

Solid, magnificent german cult car

Water pump had to be replaced after a few years, and few years later the gearbox at around 125000km, which is I guess more rare than common.

General Comments:

Being the fact that this was my first car, it will always be remembered as a tremendous time; my first car, a whole lot of freedom.

I still think about this car with great nostalgia.

It had no power steering, so if I think back it needed some more muscle to manoeuvre at very low speeds.

The 1.8 petrol liter engine was a very powerful and strong engine for that car at that time. I drag raced several younger cars with it who had similar engines; it was almost as fast as the Opel (Vauxhall) Calibra 2.0, which was a very sporty and much younger car that the Audi 80. The handbrake handling was superb... I could do a 180 degree turn on a 2 way dry tarmac road. I loved to drive that car; after some time I handled it as if it was an extension of my body... controlled it perfectly.

The gearbox broke apart, though I replaced it myself with a second hand one together with my brother, since we had a greasepit back home, and we had the tools; it was a great chore.

I had the GL that had velvet seats of good quality. It even had a roll-knop-button apart from the radio, which you can pan the sound of your radio-CD to the front speakers or to the back speakers or to both, which was superb. With two people in front, you could set it to only back speakers, which was comfortable for having conversation and music.

It is now considered an old timer. If I had the budget for it, I would import one from Germany... because there you can still find some in excellent condition for a reasonable price, although more expensive than what I paid at the time when I bought it. I bought it for 30000BEF = 750euro and drove with it for 6 years, and how, you don't want to know ;o)

Review Date: 19th April, 2011

1984 Audi 80 Quattro 2.1 petrol from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.1 petrol Manual
Most recent distance52000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

It's hip to be square

Tweed seat trim - always a weak point on these cars - has split on the driver's seat.

Central locking no longer works.

Shallow dent in one of the back doors.

Cracked front spoiler.

Rear spoiler was once painted - consequently it's now coming off.

The boot leaks water, but not heavily.

Car was re-sprayed in 1994 so is rust free, but the odd small parking scrape here and there.

Exhaust back box has a hole in it.

Oh, and there's a dead fly in the instrument panel.

General Comments:

A purchase on a whim, this one, from an Internet auction.

The old Audis certainly look very different to the aerodynamic ones of recent years. Boxy like a Volvo!

The car has had only one owner, who is now 91 years old. Consequently I have all the main dealer service history going back to the original purchase invoice.

It is totally standard, with steel wheels, no sunroof, and no radio (although I've now put one in).

I love the sound of the 5 cylinder engine - it's even better with the broken exhaust! However it doesn't feel as fast as 136bhp, maybe this is the quattro transmission sapping power.

A bit juicy on the gas - 25-30 mpg.

Surprisingly roomy - a six-footer can sit behind a similarly-sized driver.

The build quality is excellent, but Audi interiors have certainly come a long way since the 1980's. Cheap, nasty, hard brown plastic.

Review Date: 25th October, 2001

20th Feb 2004, 12:36

I am an owner of an Audi 80 sport. I bought it 2 months ago, and I am very glad. It has a 1.8 litre engine, but it does not satisfy me, for being a big engine and drinks a lot of fuel it does not run enough. The upholstery is in immaculate condition and doesn't leak any water, even from the sunroof.

Thanks, JP.. Malta.

7th Nov 2004, 08:45

I have EXACLY the same things happened to EXACLY same Audi, even the flys :) only my central locking works.

15th Jul 2005, 05:35

I also own a 1984 Audi 80 Sport - It's a beast of a car - brilliant to drive when it works - still it is 21 years old now eh!!!

26th Apr 2007, 01:57

I have a 80 sport with 200,000miles and runs beautifully. I bought it on eBay and got some welding done on the rear suspension. It was owned by a gentleman for 16 years who regularly serviced it at Audi the for 3 years by a careful lady owner who serviced it at a local garage. The car came with every receipt for all bills ever spent on it and a full service history. I followed a young driver in a 52 plate Proton Satria GTi 16v which is rated at 138bhp. we were following an old lady at 35 and he was looking in his rear view mirror repeatedly. When the lady turned off he hoofed it as I did at the same time and there was no difference between us. He wasn't gaining in the slightest neither was I. Not a bad testament to a car so old.

1984 Audi 80 Sport 1.8 from UK and Ireland