2012 Audi A3 Sport 1.6 TDi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Want to like it, but overrated and not reliable

Card/USB slot does not always read correctly.

New brakes all round (expensive, but wear and tear expected of mileage). The car has full history, serviced on time.

Worst problem is injectors! The car was running lumpy/hesitating and I had to pay £700 for new injectors! And that was an independent specialist (dealer wanted much more) Let's hope the DPF and the other typical diesel problems will not rear their ugly head!

The car sometimes won't start, then starts fine, cannot find fault.

General Comments:

I like the look of this 3 door in red A3, very smart with the sport package. Alloy wheels are great looking. Interior has the best seats I have ever sat in! All electrics. I know this has been said in many reviews about modern cars, but I really dislike the electronic handbrake. A mechanical lever was just much better.

1.6 TDi pulls strong and does over 60 miles per gallon on average! Just as well as the saving you make on fuel can go to the costly repairs for this car.

I wanted to like this car so much, but it was expensive to buy used and only had it 2 years and spent a fortune on it. Looked after low/average mileage example as well. Mates who had similar diesel cars say it is not exclusive to this car however - most post year 2005 diesel cars are having the same problems.

I will forgive it if it provides a couple of trouble free future years of motoring, but so far not impressed with such a "premium" car. My old VW Golf was not much better, but my dad's Ford Mondeo is hands down a way more reliable car, and most people I know say cars like that are cheap and nasty. Well the "upper tier" cars are not much better!

Review Date: 29th June, 2021

1st Jul 2021, 20:45

I have only had one german car in my lifetime and that was a used S430 Mercedes Benz, and it tore me up with repairs and the money to pay them. It's not a car for the faint of heart. My mechanic always seem to be wearing a ski mask when he took my money and he always blamed it on expensive parts. Had to get rid of that car and took a big loss on it. The only way I would buy a german car nowadays would be to have a big fat warranty on it that covered everything, or a short term 3-4 year lease with full coverage for the entire lease.

2012 Audi A3 S Line Sportback 1.2 TFSi from Netherlands

Summary:

The A3 is an awesome car

Condensation in rear light, replaced by dealer.

General Comments:

Moving from the UK to the Netherlands, we wanted a car that would be economical and reliable, but also practical in size for our labrador.

The A3 5 door Sportback is a good sized hatchback; I would say it's in between a Golf and A4 wagon. The ride is fairly comfortable on highways, with little wind noise, and the road holding is phenomenal!

I was most concerned about the engine size, but the 1.2 turbo mated to the 7 speed DSG box is very capable and smooth; rated at 105 BHP it feels a lot quicker and will throw you back in your seat from a standing start. Though it suffers a little bit on mid-range, but once up there it cruises nicely on the open road.

Steering, brakes, and suspension all feel tight, and the S Line edition has some nice features; xenons, daytime LEDs, 17" alloys and navigation etc.

This is our first German car, and I have to say, I am impressed by the build quality and styling. Economy is amazing with start/stop, and it returns 50+ MPG whilst cruising.

Test drove a Lexus CT200 hybrid; nice looking with lots of gadgets, but was disappointed at the lack of room inside, especially the non existent boot! Glad I looked at the A3 as it's quicker, drives smoother and gets better MPG.

Overall, very pleased with this car.

Review Date: 9th June, 2013

25th Nov 2013, 07:47

Update: Six months later and no problems with the Audi, although it did get broken into and the navigation unit stolen... a common occurrence with A3's and Golf models of this year according to the dealer! My question is, why oh why do these manufacturers make it so easy for thieves?? A simple removable face panel would make the unit less attractive to these rats! And the A3 doesn't even have an interior motion sensor for the alarm; at least the Golf does... An oversight on my part when buying the car. Anyway, the solution is a navi-lock, which is a metal plate covering the whole unit.

Another annoyance is the lack of rain gutters, making water marks on the seat bolsters during downpours.

The car is still great aside from these faults, and the newer 2013 model has a more integrated navi system, so I will be checking that out next year!