1999 Audi A4 Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 petrol Manual
Previous carTriumph Dolomite

Summary:

Great in the snow. The cheapest way into a proper quattro!

Cruise control inoperative.

Airbag warning light came on.

Side skirt trim came off (very common on these).

Oil seal in engine needed replacing.

Minor coolant leak from radiator.

Alloy trim strip on boot lid corroded (also very common for these!)

General Comments:

I bought this car for £1100, just at the right time in January this year, before very heavy snowfall!

Got to say, Audi's Quattro system is fantastic, even on an older car.

The last owner had had new tyres fitted on the front (but only budget ones) and it had decent Bridgestones on the rear. Along with the ESP and electronic limited slip diff system, I had no worries. I even drove up the kerb and around a neighbour in his Fiesta, who was stuck in the middle of the street in deep snow, without a hitch, and this was on summer tyres, x2 of them budget ones!

I don't think I've ever owned a more confidence inspiring car in terms of grip levels in wet, icy or just generally dodgy conditions than this; you just point and go!!

The engine was a lovely sounding V6, one these 5 valve per cylinder ones, which were very hi-tech when new, and performance was also great; it always felt every bit as quick as the 7.3 sec 0 to 62 time Audi quote.

Downside... about 25 MPG, but I didn't drive it that gently... ever!

It also had a great sounding stereo for an older car, and was a nice looking Burgundy metallic.

Also had dual zone climate control, which worked perfectly.

One annoying thing was the cruise control never worked, which I looked into and found out was most likely the stalk needed replacing. It wasn't worth replacing, as I didn't keep it long enough.

Overall, one of my favourite cars I've owned, and a very cheap way of getting into a proper Quattro Audi.

Also, a hell of a Q car, as mine was debadged and looked standard, I wrong-footed tons of modern repmobiles in it; always a pleasure!!

Review Date: 30th September, 2013

1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 V6 from North America

Model year1999
Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Manual
Distance when acquired112000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen Passat

Summary:

Great sports/luxury cross, expensive maintenance bills

The week I got the car, the trim on the passenger door fell off. The bracket holding it on was completely rusted out, but no one noticed this until we went through a car wash. At my house, I noticed it hanging, then pulled off. A week later, the trim on both the driver side doors fell off as well. New trim cost $250 for all 4 doors, and is easy to install.

The engine will go through about a quart of oil every month. I have yet to fix this problem properly, but a warning to anyone buying an Audi: check the oil weekly, at least.

A squeak developed in the steering column since the weather has gotten colder. The front right wheel also squeaks when going over a bumpy road.

Driveshaft snapped when shifting from 4th to 3rd going 60 mph. Anyone who drives a manual transmission should know that if you don’t rev match, especially at such a high speed, you could do serious damage to your car. Luckily, it was only a 200 dollar fix.

Cruise control has never worked for me. I don't know if I am doing it wrong, or something's broken, But I haven't figured it out.

General Comments:

In my opinion, this car is meant to be a cross between a luxury car and a sports car, and it does it very well. The 2.8 V6 does the car justice when you are between 2 and 4 thousand rpm, especially in second gear. I started in second gear at 15 mph, and floored it until I got to 5500 rpm. I was going 45 mph in a matter of 2.5 seconds.

This car handles like a Lotus. I can drive 35 mph in a circle about 25 feet in diameter. It's not a good idea, but I’ve done it. It hugs the road’s curves like nothing I’ve driven. I never lose traction… ever, never slide, even in the rain or light snow.

The manual transmission feels a little scratchy when shifting into first gear, but it doesn’t cause a problem of any kind. However, I miss 3rd gear almost on a daily basis.

The seats are comfortable, but it's pretty easy to slide around in them. When turning quickly around a corner, you almost have to hold yourself in your seat with your elbows. However, they are very comfortable on a long drive.

The cabin has good visibility and seems to be made out of high quality materials. Compared to my dad’s 09 Chevy, I drive a Rolls Royce. A/C is always cold, heating is always hot. Heated seats work great.

The downside to Audi’s is that upkeep is expensive. Though I haven’t had to replace the clutch, the cost for replacement can be between 900 and 1400 dollars. My friend, who owns a 02 Civic, had his clutch replaced for 250. If, for some reason, you want to swap the engine, expect to pay more than your car is worth. If something major goes wrong with the engine, don’t expect to pay less than 1000.

Overall, it’s a great car. I’m glad I got it. I’m not glad it's expensive to keep, but I can handle it.

Review Date: 18th October, 2010

20th Mar 2013, 12:41

Glad you like your A4 Quattro; I've got one and they are a great car.

Several things you mentioned seem a little odd however!

You mentioned shifting from 4th to 3rd gear at 60mph, and that it was a high speed to do so. Well, there should NEVER be an issue doing that! I regularly shift into 3rd at about 70 or so to overtake, and take it up to 100 sometimes in mine!! I also have a 1.2 Hyundai i10 as a city car, which does 85 in 3rd, and again, regularly change up at 60 + from 4th into 3rd, even in that.

Lastly, I appreciate you are in the USA, and may be used to American cars' handling characteristics, but I can assure you, your Quattro does NOT handle like a Lotus!! It's not a light, nimble, mid-engined 2 seater sports car. Drive an Elise and you'll see the enormous difference between the two!!