Audi Fox Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1978 Audi Fox 1.6 from Germany

Year of manufacture1978
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

I love this car and I hope to always own it and love it

I had to replace the struts and the CV joints and axles.

I had the wheels sandblasted and repainted.

General Comments:

This car turns on a dime.

This car has a beautiful interior and the seats are in mint condition.

This car purrs like a kitten.

Review Date: 26th December, 2002

1st Sep 2003, 20:49

I Thought the Audi Fox, was known as Audi 80 in Germany.

2nd Jan 2007, 00:19

You sure don't see many VW Fox's on the road anymore, I've only seen a couple during the past 10 years or so.

2nd Apr 2007, 01:54

I actually have 75 Audi Fox (CIS fuel system, not carburetor). It was my primary car for approximately 23 years!...Though I've had 3 engines in it now. Haven't used it as a primary car for about 3 years now. --Have trouble getting into reverse now (same transmission all these years!). That's not to say no problems though. I've been stranded many times. One time my alternator fell down on the freeway (the bolt sheared off and down it went--enough for me to loose power). Many parts replaced, but then it has been 30 years.

I don't see these in the junk yards either any more. I think I'm the only person that still has one. I can't even believe I found this site...

1976 Audi Fox from North America

Year of manufacture1976
First year of ownership1990
Most recent year of ownership1993
Engine and transmission Manual
Distance when acquired52000 miles
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Superiority of German Engineering? NICHT!

Electrical problems (numerous)

Chassis & body problems (everything broke; crappy paint)

Fuel injector problems (impossible to keep maintained.

General Comments:

I have owned many cars in my lifetime (I'm now 52) but this... this Audi Fox.. has to be the Worst of the Worst of the Worst...i.e., this was the worst car I have ever owned! (Yes, even less reliable than the battered ol' Hillman Minx I drove in high school.)

And, the most expensive car I have ever owned (even though it was given to me!). Beats me how such a tiny little car could cost so much per pound.

Review Date: 13th May, 2002

5th Apr 2004, 07:51

What do you expect from an old car?

If you took the "lower class" car from any other company in the 70's it would have the same problems, if not more.

8th Oct 2005, 17:08

'75 Fox was absolutely the worst car I have ever had. When everything worked, it was great. Problem was, something was always going wrong. Electrical problems can't be counted. Classic example was the electric cooling fan seizing up on I-95, shorting out the wiring harness, causing great black smoke through the a/c outlets. Towed vehicle to dealer where they discovered - duh - there was no replacement wiring harness for '75 Fox made by Audi. Dealer juryrigged a concraption to replace. Collected the insurance, bought a plastic Jesus to put on dash for protection, and quickly traded it in for what proved to be a more reliable vehicle. Wouldn't have been much worse off if I had bought a Yugo; at least with a 6 volt electrical system the smoke wouldn't be as dense. Have another story about Midas replacing the muffler & the battery installed in trunk, with plastic vent tube located next to catalytic converter (which for some reason got hot whenever car was driven) - but that's another post.

1978 Audi Fox fuel injected from North America