2003 Audi S3 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Makes me smile everytime I drives it, great looks and performance

Nothing major so far (touches desk), just one tyre to replace, 225 R18 40...£200 from Kwikfit... grumble (only place I could find open on a Sunday afternoon).

Annoying rattle from trim underneath the exhaust.

General Comments:

Was looking for a quick 4WD car for a while, Subaru's & Evo's were a bit too in your face for my liking, eventually decided on the S3 over the Cupra as I didn't like the looks or the depreciation.

Stunning car, Black, sits on 18" RS4 alloys & silver mirrors (were on the car before I got it), silver cream interior, 6 CD changer etc.

What can I say, goes like stink and I've driven quick cars, used to have a VTS and owned a GSXR600 as well. Superb handling, grip is superb although like all Audi's it understeers at the oddest times, usually wet roundabouts or junctions, but generally it's a superbly balanced and well composed, performance is superb and 6th is surprisingly torquey on the motorway, driven it to Scotland from London a few times. Induction hiss from the Turbo is addictive. Exhaust seems to get louder as the journey goes by.

Interior is a very nice place to be, Recarro's key you firmly in place and you need them in this car. Stereo sounds great, but can be a bit fiddly on when pressing on.

Great build quality, great driving experience. There are faster cars on the road and cheaper VAG part bins specials I know, but the overall package is superb and I'd highly recommend this car. Rare too which adds to the appeal. Hard to find a good one as a lot are stolen recovered.

Only downsides are poor legroom in the back due to the large Recarro's, but then I don't have kids so who cares. Boot space is really poor, but enough for a suitcase and a biggish bag.

Review Date: 18th January, 2007

5th Aug 2008, 07:01

Great car.. not too many in Ireland and definitely gets the looks!!

Just put a new air flow meter in her but think she's a bit thirstier... has anybody had the same problem.

15th Jul 2009, 07:40

My friend is considering an S3 and we went to have a look at an 08' one in a show room the other day. Great looking car and feels so well built. Interior is certainly the nicest I've seen in a while. He didn't get to drive it though, lucky really otherwise I think it would have resulted in a drained bank account!

2002 Audi S3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great car, well done Audi

Driver's side rear spring snapped at 53,000 miles!!!!!

General Comments:

Great performance and fuel economy. I average 29mpg, which includes lots of town stops and starts, and very little motorway.

Review Date: 16th February, 2006

11th Oct 2006, 11:51

Its nothing special, only 225bhp give it the same power to weight ratio as new golf gti as weighs 100kg more because of 4wd system.

20th Nov 2006, 14:36

It's also more expensive, and less economical from my experience. But I agree, that it is a good all round car. So I drive Focus RS.

19th Jan 2007, 16:16

Oh dear.

The Seat Cupra and RS owners grumble as their "hot hatch" gains eye watering depreciation ;-).

21st Dec 2011, 06:05

The RS will be worth more than the S3 of the same age. A good Escort Cosworth will still sell for 13-15 k.

1999 Audi S3 1.8 turbo 210 bhp from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fabulous. Buy one and enjoy. New Model in Late 2006. Can't Wait

Nothing wrong so far!

Kerb mark on alloy my fault (well the truck's coming in the other direction actually)

General Comments:

This is a fabulous car.

The speed it creates is enormous and effortless. Supercar league.

Totally understated. Most people won't even know what has just left them behind.

Total Luxury. Silk Nappa Leather and all the toys.

Fuel Consumption in mid 20's, but I can't keep my right foot off the gas pedal. It's too much fun to resist.

Fabulous to look at. So cool. So mean. So different to the standard A3 of the era. I nearly overlooked it.

Easy Modification will get you 265 BHP and 0-60 in about 5, top speed well over 150mph and the chassis can handle it all. Amazing. I am no Max Power crew member, but this car will get modded.

Review Date: 20th August, 2005

28th Mar 2006, 07:34

Yes I had mine chipped, it's just plain awesome.

14th Jul 2009, 00:06

With that mileage, just be careful by changing the timing belt.

Nice car.

2000 Audi S3 1.8 turbo petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Expensive, but easy to live with and lots of fun

Both the driver & passenger seat sometimes stick when moved forward.

Catch on rear central head-rest fell apart.

Both front fog lights have internal condensation.

General Comments:

Very quick.

Loads of fun to drive.

Goes round corners like nothing I've ever driven (especially in the wet).

Reasonably subtle styling (huge wheels excepted!)

Rorty exhaust noise sounds very non-Audi.

Very economical if driven carefully.

Excellent build quality.

Very comfortable over long distances although the ride is very firm.

BOSE stereo option sounds fantastic.

Not a huge amount of room in the back.

Boot smaller than normal A3 (a bit too small).

Very easy to dent alloys on the kerb.

Not cheap when options added on, but who cares... I love it!

Review Date: 20th February, 2001