2005 Audi S4 Review

2005 Audi S4 4.2 from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2004
Previous carAudi BMW 540

Summary:

This is a very fast and agile gas guzzler that meets all of my needs

Nothing.

General Comments:

I came from a BMW 540/six speed and after a very short relationship with an Infiniti G35 coupe, I realized that the two door lacked convenience and the Japanese interior was did not fit with the overall mission of the car.

I got back into a four door, eight cylinder German car with a six speed and, this time, with all wheel drive. I was comfortable and much more satisfied with the "experience" although at a substantially higher price.

It is a bit smaller than my BMW and the overall handling is a bit less refined, but the engine is a wonder and, so far, nothing has fallen off or quit working.

Review Date: 27th May, 2006

28th May 2006, 10:36

"This is a very fast and agile gas guzzler that meets all of my needs"

What gas mileage does it get?

27th Jun 2006, 12:47

The mileage is about the same on both my Explorer and S4. Approximately 17 mpg mix city/highway. City driving only expect 13-14 mpg max.

19th Mar 2007, 17:43

Just wanted to add the comment that the tires that came stock with this 2004 model are very prone to slow leaks. I've had issues with all 4 of mine over the past three years.

Although it is not a huge deal to take somewhere and get the leak plugged I thought it was worth mentioning here because it happens so often.

They are Continental 235/40 ZR18. Otherwise the tires themselves feel great on dry pavement when fully inflated.

I purchased some caps that turn red when the tires are not fully inflated to 40psi.

10th Jun 2009, 01:11

I've owned a 2007 S4 for just over 2 years and I'm very satisfied using it as a commuter. I wished I'd bought a RS4, but couldn't wait six months.

My 1986 Saab 900S with 345,000+ miles was becoming too shop prone, and my mechanic recommended I give it a peaceful end.

The Audi is much more fun to drive than the Saab (understated I know). Additionally, I don't see one on every corner like BMWs & MBZs plus I'm a Pacific North-westerner that loves the winter weather in the mountains where Quattro is KING.

Pjb.