2005 Audi S4 4.2 V8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Adrenaline on tap

General Comments:

An absolutely brilliant drive. Super fast and amazing through corners. The Recaro seats hug your body and the six speed manual transmission makes driving come alive. The launch control is interesting and sometimes cause embarrassment at the lights when you inadvertently engage it.

The only downside to this car is the limited leg room in the rear for tall adults. I'm 6'3", and with a comfortable driving position, there's not a lot of room behind me for a tall passenger.

As far as value for money goes, these Porsche beaters can't be beat.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2015

2005 Audi S4 4.2 from North America

This is a very fast and agile gas guzzler that meets all of my needs

General Comments:

I came from a BMW 540/six speed and after a very short relationship with an Infiniti G35 coupe, I realized that the two door lacked convenience and the Japanese interior was did not fit with the overall mission of the car.

I got back into a four door, eight cylinder German car with a six speed and, this time, with all wheel drive. I was comfortable and much more satisfied with the "experience" although at a substantially higher price.

It is a bit smaller than my BMW and the overall handling is a bit less refined, but the engine is a wonder and, so far, nothing has fallen off or quit working.

Review Date: 27th May, 2006

28th May 2006, 10:36

"This is a very fast and agile gas guzzler that meets all of my needs"

What gas mileage does it get?

27th Jun 2006, 12:47

The mileage is about the same on both my Explorer and S4. Approximately 17 mpg mix city/highway. City driving only expect 13-14 mpg max.

19th Mar 2007, 17:43

Just wanted to add the comment that the tires that came stock with this 2004 model are very prone to slow leaks. I've had issues with all 4 of mine over the past three years.

Although it is not a huge deal to take somewhere and get the leak plugged I thought it was worth mentioning here because it happens so often.

They are Continental 235/40 ZR18. Otherwise the tires themselves feel great on dry pavement when fully inflated.

I purchased some caps that turn red when the tires are not fully inflated to 40psi.

10th Jun 2009, 01:11

I've owned a 2007 S4 for just over 2 years and I'm very satisfied using it as a commuter. I wished I'd bought a RS4, but couldn't wait six months.

My 1986 Saab 900S with 345,000+ miles was becoming too shop prone, and my mechanic recommended I give it a peaceful end.

The Audi is much more fun to drive than the Saab (understated I know). Additionally, I don't see one on every corner like BMWs & MBZs plus I'm a Pacific North-westerner that loves the winter weather in the mountains where Quattro is KING.