2002 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 5 of 10

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Straight 6 from North America

Engine and transmission Straight 6 Manual
Previous carCadillac DeVille

Summary:

Simply a great sporty and well built car

Check engine light comes on for no reason that can be found, but goes back out. Had car checked, but no problem found.

General Comments:

Great HWY mpg, avg 31 - 33mpg, and very quick and smooth ride, and with today's gas prices, that's a good thing for such a sporty car.

Found the car to be roomy enough for me and comfortable all around, Sound system, radio and CD are all great, and plenty of truck space, and the keeper for me is, comes with full size spare on the proper / matching rim.

I purchased the car as used, but at 48000 miles, the car really had not been driven (for a 6+ year old car), below 10,000 a year. Clean and rides like new. Simply a great deal and car.

Review Date: 7th June, 2008

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i 3.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Finest car I have ever owned hands down

Bought the car with 80000 miles and I replaced the control arms at 85000mi with Meyles and the expansion tank as preventative maintenance since they are known to fail every 40-50K miles. Also, needed to replace the clips in the sunroof shade. Other than preventative mx and the sunroof clips no additional service (besides scheduled) was required. I do all my own mx so saved a bundle on labor (although my local BMW dealership was very helpful when I had questions) and parts are very reasonable over the internet. A very easy vehicle to work on as well.

General Comments:

Finest car I have ever owned hands down. The combination of performance, sportiness and luxury are unequaled for the price. A blast to drive with the sport and premium package and very reliable to boot. Gas mileage was outstanding for an inline 6 with 225 HP - I got 32MPG at 75 on the hwy and between 21-24MPG around town. Only drawback was it performs best on premium although it will take regular gas. Only other input would be I think the stereo - I had the upgraded HK version - could sound better for the price point although its by no means terrible. Great car for the money.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2007

2002 BMW 3 Series E46 2.5 from North America

Most recent distance119000 miles
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

Very reliable car

My thermostat had to be changed.

The brakes were worn out all the way at 118000.

General Comments:

It's a great and reliable car. Nothing has gone wrong with it besides the thermostat.

It gets very good gas mileage.

The car handles great, but I drive the 325i, which is rear wheel drive with 2.5 engine size. If you want more power and handling, I highly recommend the 328xi, which is all wheel drive with a 2.8 engine.

Review Date: 21st January, 2007

2002 BMW 3 Series 318i Executive 2.0L Valvetronic from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 2.0L Valvetronic Automatic
Previous carAlfa Romeo 156

Summary:

An elegant and (now) affordable prestige vehicle

Nothing really at all, but this car was a BMW Approved Used vehicle.

Small rattles were coming from the rear windows, but would disappear if the windows were very slightly down (apparently a common E46 problem).

It is the only thing that spoils the overall quietness and poise of the car.

I changed the original Continental tyres (way too noisy!) for a set of new Michelin Pilot Premacy tyres, which are extremely quiet and don't give off much road noise.

General Comments:

I've just traded this car back to the BMW dealer after 6 months of ownership, and bought myself a 2006 model 3-series; but this was not due to any problem with the car at all, it's just that we had an opportunity to upgrade the car now, rather than a few more years down the track.

I have to say that my six months with this car were totally faultless, and my wife now misses it because it is slightly smaller than the 2006 version, and is a bit easier to manoeuvre.

I did like the fact that BMW's service intervals are generally long and dependant upon the particular usage of the car. Mine wasn't due for a service until November, because we drove it fairly sedately. I'm sure that the cost of the service would have been interesting though.

Review Date: 17th August, 2006