14th May 2005, 15:06
I own a 1993 325i and it's been great. I note that you both bought the cars with the gremlins already there. It's your fault that you have poor judgment on buying 2nd hand cars, not to note panels falling off doors etc! If the previous owner looked after it, you wouldn't have these wear and tear faults! Next time, get a friend or professional to look at the car before buying it! And when you do buy a car, you can't possibly expect to not spend any money on it for worn parts. Especially when it's 11 years old!
18th Dec 2006, 14:01
I'm looking for a BMW 325i 94. I just want to ask you guys how durable is this car. Soon it is going to be a 13 year old car so I'm a little worried, is it going to fall a part?
18th Mar 2007, 04:03
I had 325i coupe. Mine was bad.
1. Air Cond System - Mine filed so many times. Compressor, cooling coil, all failed. It is very poorly designed. Toyota ones are far more reliable.
2. Radiator & Cooling system - The cooling system of BMW is well designed. In general, you do not come across situation where the car overheats in the middle of your journey. However, It is O.K. My radiator failed after doing 80,000 km.
3. Water Pump - The water pump failed after doing 146,000 km. This has caused the severe damage to the engine, and I had to do the top overhaul.
4. Power Steering Rack - Failed after 153,000 Km. I replaced mine with the 2nd hand power steering because the new ones are so expensive.
5. Power steering box - Leak in the box after 132,000 Km.
6. Reer Wheel Ball Bearing - Very badly designed, cannot take the bumpy roads. On average, I had to replace at least one of the wheel ball bearings frequently, possibly once in every 10,000 KM. as the road that I use is rather bumpy.
7. Door panel - The brackets inside the door panel were supported by industrial adhesives when the car was re-painted. Therefore it fell off once.
8. Compressor - Needed to be replaced after 133,400 KM.
9. Ceiling (Cloth) - Very volnerable against heat. I had to replace mine after 132,500km
10. Gear Shaft - Broken at 150,400km.
11. Regulator of actuator - Failed completely after 160,000 KM.
12. Many others.
21st Jul 2007, 12:19
I own a 94 325i. Everything I am reading has happened to me. My door panels are falling off, replaced water pump, belts pulleys, sub frame was cracked, fan blade, fan clutch, wheel bearing, motor mount, ball joints, radiator has leak, AC compressor seized, got it with 139,000 put 22,000 in less than a year. Have made modifications, Dinan performance chip, AA cold air intake, cars fast. Love the car, hate the repairs.
15th Aug 2007, 03:24
I have had my 325i coupe (manual) for 7 years now. It's a 1994 model.
My leather seats are perfect (well looked after with natural conditioner).
It has 179,000 kms on the clock, and the only problem I've had is my thermostat was stuck open.
It was purchased second hand. People underestimate how much technology has gone into these cars. A car is only as good as you look after it. Not bad for a 13 year old car.
27th Jan 2009, 19:17
I just got my first BMW yesterday, and today the transmission went out on it. I am so mad. I got ripped off and I'm not too happy about that.
I asked mechanics about these transmissions, and it turns out that they suck and always go out around 150k miles.
Other than that, the car rode home really nice from Los Angeles to San Diego, which is about 2 hours. Not sure if I will get another one.
29th Mar 2010, 11:07
I just bought a 1994 coupe 2D 325i and I'm loving it! It's a 16 year old car, and the transmission is amazing on it. I amnot sure if the clutch was replaced several miles ago; which it must have, because it's still running strong after 193,000 miles! It is an extremely fast car, and yeah, the door panels are coming off, etc...But that can all be replaced or fixed easily. I was thinking of going to a junk yard or something and seeing if I can fix it that way. But whoever had the car before me, REALLY took care of it. It just all depends on how the previous owner took care of the car.
29th Mar 2010, 12:02
Replace your interior door clips. They're plastic rivet type things. You can get them from the dealer or off ebay.
9th Apr 2010, 14:49
I bought a BMW 325i coupe one week ago. I am thrilled with the car. Fingers crossed everything seems fine. The only thing that is wrong is one of my pet hates, bloody dash board light out... so going to try and replace... other than that, it is a top motor... and bloody fast...
8th Feb 2011, 08:13
I've owned my 325is for 7 years now. I bought it from my mechanic in 2003 at 6.5k with a new clutch, rebuilt engine, and AC working. The AC went 2 years later, I changed all the rubber parts like the guido in the driveshaft, and spark plugs and tires, and some bushings. Now I couldn't sell it for 3k, but I am going to try in 5 years when I can afford a new car.
The car has been fantastic to me. Twice I changed the oil myself, but didn't tighten the filter and drove the car with no oil on the highway; only noticed when I came to a stop and smelled burning oil. The car was ticking, but the engine is still strong.
I tried to change my alignment, but the bolts have seized. I tried to change the thermostat, but the bolts had seized.
This car is great, but not very good for Canada, as it gets too cold for the doors and power windows to go up, my trunk won't open using the key, only automatic locking system, and hardly any mechanic knows how to fix it.
I would not buy this car again unless I had $1000 per year to spend on maintenance. I like the look of other modded e36 I see, but I would rather a cheap Honda or Subaru. They are faster from 0-100 km/hr anyways, and can use a turbo.