1996 BMW 7 Series Reviews

1996 BMW 7 Series 728i from Iraq

Previous carBMW 5 Series

Summary:

Awesome

General Comments:

The BMW 728i is the most magnificent car I have ever driven and owned. It is a unique blend of power, comfort and excitement. People who are afraid of the 6 cylinder engine are missing the drive of a life time. This car is far superior to its same class competitors.

Caution: be careful. If you drive one it could spoil you for other cars. It's that good.

Review Date: 6th May, 2010

1996 BMW 7 Series 740i 4.4 V8 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 4.4 V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Most recent distance152000 miles
Previous carNissan Primera

Summary:

A superb car with great presence and gargantuan performance, if a little thirsty!

Rear suspension top mounts at 130,000 miles.

Steering link arm at 140,000 miles.

General wear and tear & service items between 120-150,000 miles.

General Comments:

I'd wanted to own an E38 7-Series ever since I used to lust after the 740i Sport owned by the landlord of my local pub. Initially, I couldn't afford one, so I owned a couple of E32 730i models, which were nice, but not the E38 I desperately wanted.

When I finally got my hands on one in 2005, I was not to be disappointed. Once I'd allowed the gearbox to learn my driving style (takes a good month) and found the perfect position for the electric seat (takes at least a day - ALWAYS save it to the memory), life with BMW's biggest saloon was - and still is - great.

Plus points are many and varied. The key highlights are interior comfort and ambiance, stonking performance from the 4.4 litre V8 petrol engine, how the car looks from the outside and the ride & handling - both exemplary.

Negatives are few and far between, though a car this big with an engine so large is always going to have one big blot in its copybook. Fuel consumption. Since owning the car, I have averaged 21-point-something miles per gallon, which can prove rather pricey at fill-up time. On the plus side, I can confirm 21 mpg is a realistic figure, as I do like to drive quickly (though not like I stole it). I would imagine that if one were to drive the car as if a priceless Faberge egg is lodged beneath the accelerator pedal, then 25 mpg might be achievable... But where's the fun in that?

Other downsides - not, thankfully experienced by me - are expensive parts should something big go pop. For instance, I paid £2,200 for my car - a replacement gearbox comes in at around £3,000.

My advice would be to purchase a V8-engined 7-Series from 1996 onwards (Nikasil cylinder lining problems were sorted at the end of 1995), with as much choice equipment as possible and with a fat wad of bills and as near a perfect service history record as your budget will allow.

If you're spending between £1,500 and £2,500, buy the car to enjoy it and be fully prepared to throw the car away at the first sniff of a repair bill over £500.

If you're spending upwards of £2,500, be more choosy, and be prepared for some big bills (not happened to me, but it could happen to you).

Let's say I was buying my first E38, all over again. I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing. Take a budget of £2,000 and bag yourself one of the world's best kept large sports saloon secrets.

I sincerely hope you'll have as much fun with yours as I have (and am still having) with mine.

Review Date: 18th July, 2009

1996 BMW 7 Series 728IA 2.8 from Norway

Previous carMercedes-Benz S-Class

Summary:

Nice car with some annoing faults

Front wheel brake caliper was cracked when I bought the car.

Rear ABS sensors failed, causing speedometer to fail.

Drivers seat heater doesn't work.

Some rust on the car, only minor, but the previous owner abused the cars paint a bit, so I think I'm going to have it resprayed.

Transmission works fine, but I think I'm going to have it serviced. This is not easy to do on these cars, as the transmission isn't made for maintenance at all. It's a "sealed for life" unit.

The usual suspension replacements. Common on all big, heavy cars.

Dashboard display is failing a bit. Very common problem on BMW's.

From what I've read dealer service on these cars can be an issue, as they don't always know how to fix problems. Such advanced cars like these, needs a high level of technical knowhow, and it seems that BMW-dealers just don't have the knowhow at all.

General Comments:

Very nice car to drive. Very quick for a 2,8.

Nice, durable interior.

All the electric equipment works fine except the drivers seat heater.

The engine doesn't use oil, and runs like new. Sounds nice, and has the extra power needed for most situations.

Very low on fuel.

A nice car, but it could be better. Mostly minor faults. Still very annoying.

Car seems to have a very strong, reliable mechanical core, however, and it's a beautiful car. Love to drive it.

Review Date: 1st July, 2006