2004 BMW 7 Series i 4.5L from North America

Summary:

Great used car if you can afford the repairs

I'm indicating repairs as "common" as there are many other individuals on BMW forums that discuss a lot of these issues.

- Valve stem seals (common, costly repair).

- Coolant leak (common, costly repair).

- Logic 7 amplifier malfunction (causing crackling in rear speakers - common).

- Brake booster and vacuum pump malfunction (recall).

- Driver's side restraint malfunction light warning (common. There is a recall for the passenger side for some years, but not the driver's side).

- Parking brake malfunction (plastic gears in the motor break after some time - common).

- Oil leaks (cracked oil pan from wear of oil changes - the bolt used as the oil plug may eventually cause the oil pan to crack).

- Other miscellaneous oil leaks.

- Control arm bushings worn (normal wear and tear, mine was accelerated by oil leaks).

- Possible guibo (flex joint) malfunction (common).

- Oil pressure sensor malfunction.

General Comments:

Great car to own if you can afford the repairs. You will have to repair the majority of the problems I mentioned above if you are buying it used.

The car runs very well, powerful acceleration and smooth ride. I have never been left stranded anywhere because the car just won't start or due to a message on the computer display (i-Drive) indicating that I should stop driving, which is a plus.

I found the i-Drive system relatively easy to learn. Most of the younger generation shouldn't have much of a problem figuring it out. It can be a little time consuming entering addresses for the navigation, mainly because I am used to using my phone that has a keyboard to type in addresses. The navigation does however assist in bringing up street names as you type.

I enjoy this car, which is probably why I keep repairing it. I like the look and feel of it, and being a taller guy (6'3"), it is very comfortable for me. If you can do basic maintenance yourself, that would save you some money as oil changes, brake and rotor jobs etc can be pricey on German cars.

All this being said, I do not think I would purchase another German car (or at least not an older BMW) due to the running cost, although I enjoy this car.

Review Date: 26th November, 2014

2004 BMW 7 Series 730i Sport 3.0 litre petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The second hand buy of the 21st Century!

Power steering radiator needed replacement.

One xenon light unit had to be replaced.

General Comments:

A big, seriously capable, luxury car that seemingly manages the impossible by wafting along one minute, then when you are in the mood, tightening up (especially when fitted with Dynamic Drive) and handling as though it were a superbly balanced sports car half it's size.

Typical excellent BMW build quality, great service by local BMW dealership and relatively modest running costs (over a year I have averaged 27.4 mpg on mainly country roads). Over a 2,500 journey around Switzerland I averaged a creditable 32 mpg which is impressive given the size of car and it's performance.

Try and find one with Logic 7 Hi Fi as this is an amazing bit of kit. I often stay in the car after arriving home to hear the end of a CD, the sound is that good.

I-Drive truly did my head in for the first week, but I soon sorted out what I needed to know and what I would never need to know (which is a lot!). It really is quite simple once you have learnt it's logic... use the voice commands and the system starts to make good sense.

Makes an incredible secondhand buy as the first owner has taken a massive hit in depreciation over the first year or two.

The looks have grown on me and I much prefer the butch look of this car compared to the Edna Everidge 5 Series. The same goes for the interior where the 7 Series is ultra modern and luxurious compared to the rather stark interior of a 5.

Review Date: 12th March, 2008

12th May 2011, 19:22

I was very impressed with this review and the positive comments on the BMW 730i saloon, particularly the petrol consumption. The enthusiasm for the performance and ability of the car have made me look seriously at buying a 2003 model with 52000 miles on the clock.

Kevin Lofting.

2004 BMW 7 Series Li 4.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

A very solid, reliable boat

Well, let me think here... oh yes, I remember my son always complaining about how the passenger heated seat didn't always work. When I got a flat tire the people at Les Schwab put on the wrong tire... I don't see how they could have done that!, and the tire pressure monitor refused to shut up.

General Comments:

This car was a beauty to own. I traded it in for a 2006 BMW X5 4.8is (you might find my review in that section). This car accelerated with gobs of toque, and I was pretty astonished at how it did. The handling was also impressive, with no body roll or anything. I got the Li version because I often have to drive clients around town, so they were always very comfortable.

I got many stares from this car, especially driving down the freeway at 80, flying past everyone. 0ver all, this is a very reliable, solid car and I have never lost faith in it once. So, if you can afford the 1200 dollar a month price tag, I highly recommend this car to you, and you will be glad to purchase one!

Review Date: 4th December, 2006