2004 BMW 7 Series i 4.5L from North America
Great used car if you can afford the repairs
I'm indicating repairs as "common" as there are many other individuals on BMW forums that discuss a lot of these issues.
- Valve stem seals (common, costly repair).
- Coolant leak (common, costly repair).
- Logic 7 amplifier malfunction (causing crackling in rear speakers - common).
- Brake booster and vacuum pump malfunction (recall).
- Driver's side restraint malfunction light warning (common. There is a recall for the passenger side for some years, but not the driver's side).
- Parking brake malfunction (plastic gears in the motor break after some time - common).
- Oil leaks (cracked oil pan from wear of oil changes - the bolt used as the oil plug may eventually cause the oil pan to crack).
- Other miscellaneous oil leaks.
- Control arm bushings worn (normal wear and tear, mine was accelerated by oil leaks).
- Possible guibo (flex joint) malfunction (common).
- Oil pressure sensor malfunction.
Great car to own if you can afford the repairs. You will have to repair the majority of the problems I mentioned above if you are buying it used.
The car runs very well, powerful acceleration and smooth ride. I have never been left stranded anywhere because the car just won't start or due to a message on the computer display (i-Drive) indicating that I should stop driving, which is a plus.
I found the i-Drive system relatively easy to learn. Most of the younger generation shouldn't have much of a problem figuring it out. It can be a little time consuming entering addresses for the navigation, mainly because I am used to using my phone that has a keyboard to type in addresses. The navigation does however assist in bringing up street names as you type.
I enjoy this car, which is probably why I keep repairing it. I like the look and feel of it, and being a taller guy (6'3"), it is very comfortable for me. If you can do basic maintenance yourself, that would save you some money as oil changes, brake and rotor jobs etc can be pricey on German cars.
All this being said, I do not think I would purchase another German car (or at least not an older BMW) due to the running cost, although I enjoy this car.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 26th November, 2014